Man, this new Chinchilla is by far the most skittish I've ever seen!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stallion

Hello everyone!

I've had Chinchillas since I was a kid. Unfortunetly, I took care of them the wrong way in terms of treats(Raisins, etc.). So they lasted me almost 10 years but definitely not 15. Luckily, now under the management of a local breeder I'm learning the proper way to care for them.

Anyway, I just got a brand new 5 month old male, and he has to be the most skittish chinchilla I've ever seen. This little guy wall surfs whenever I even approach the cage to talk to him. And not the happy wall surfing, the "I GOTTA GET AWAY" kind. He also barked at me, and though I don't speak Chinchilla I'm pretty sure he was cursing me out.

So, my plan of action is to not even talk to him or even approach the cage for a full week(except for food and water changes). In a week's time I'll approach the cage and attempt to talk to him again. A week later I'll give him treats through the cage, and so forth.

Please let me know if this is a sound plan. Also, let me know if there's anything I can do to better my chances of success.

My other male, who is 1 year old, is finally now coming around after having him for about a month. He takes treats from me but, he shakes his head sometimes when I pet his head between the ears. He has no issues taking food from my hand. Still not really picking him up but we're definitely progressing towards that.

I think this is the best part about owning a Chinchilla. Forming the bond. My wife and I joke about it, referencing it as "Sahelu" from the Avatar movie. But it's like that. A creature that instinctively fears you ends up being your friend. Except for the case of kits, them little guys will just imitate mom, so if mom loves you they'll love you.

Anyway, any and all advice is welcomed.

I wouldnt ignore him for a week and then start over- it may work, but personally I'd try just being around a lot in a non threatening way. I would avoid playtime with him so he doesnt get chased (plus five months is a little young for that), I would sit next to the cage and just read or something. Be still and quiet and show that you arent scary. Make some noise when you approach so you dont suprise/scare him with your sudden presence though. I just adoped a few skittish chins and have been doing this with them (although they do get playtime- I'm ok with waiting forever for them to take themselves back in so Im not the scary thing). The one that's more skittish will already talk back to me when Im coming in the room - although he's still scared when there arent bars between us- i might pick him up and that would be terrible :) My next step is to hang out with one cage door open and my hand in the cage- you want to be watchful if your doing this. My goal is to become a nonthreatening thing thats so ingrained in daily life Im not weird at all. Instead of a scary giant thats gonna get them.

chins can take a lot of time to adjust. New cage, new ppl, new environment, new smells, new everything. Its a lot to take it. Plus any issues from there previous home. Give it time; alot.

My first chin was even more skiddish/paranoid then yours. (For good reason too.) It took a long time but now out of all 5 of my chins, he is without a doubt the most friendliest.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Progress report:
My new Black Chinchi allows me to pet his ears. Actually, he does so more than my Beige who tends to shake his head as if he's annoyed. That worries me some since the only time I had a Chinchi shake his head like that it was due to a kind of athlete's foot but on the ear. But that Chinchi would lash out at me in pain because of it. So for now I'll keep an eye on the Beige.

My new black Chinchi still doesn't take treats from me but last night when I offered him a toy(given to me by the breeder), he snatched it like some rude little kid and went to work on it. We're definitely starting to bond, and he's eating and drinking. I was beginning to worry as I have yet to see him drink from the water bottle but he is indeed drinking now.

I will keep you guys posted. Will post pics once he is fully tamed.

I think a better plan would be to just sit in front of his cage. Talk to him or read something out loud to him. This way he will realize you aren't scary and aren't trying to hurt him. Also, trying to make him eat a treat out of your hand will gain trust.

Hey, dude. It's Cornellia. You got the beige boy from me (Legolas). Take things slowly. Talk to him while you are in the room. You can also read a book wile near the cage or sing. Spend as much time as possible in the room. You can also rest your hand and arm in the cage while doing this. Whatever you do, do not ignore him for a week. It will just make matters worse. Obviously, the person you got the black chinchilla from did not handle him much.

Latest posts

Back