Mama Chin and her Kits =)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Phoenix

A couple of nights ago my boyfriend and I found out that our 2 males were not actually 2 males, one was female and we found this out by the 3 babies running around the cage. I have put the mom and the kits in a different cage from the dad, the cage has no levels and is baby safe. But I was wondering if there was another way for the mom to enterian herself other then the wheel, I'm concerned that she might get bored and hurt one of the kits. I can't see her harming them as she is a great first time mother, I just feel bad that she has nothing to do. And if people have anymore advice on kits I would love to hear it, I have spent almost every hour researching since they were born on things to do for the whole chin family =)

Last edited:
If there is a wheel in her cage, remove it immediately. It is not safe to have mom running on the wheel with babies in the cage. Chins don't get bored, especially nursing females. You can give her some chew toys for her and babies to play with and even one fairly low shelf. I wouldn't go overboard, it's not necessary. It's more important to keep the babies safe and alive. ;)

I never put the wheel in cause I thought that if it came off it would squish them or she would run on it while they were on it, But thank you =)

I was also wondering when I take them out to play with them how long can they be away from the mom before they have to go back in? I have been taking them out for about 15 minutes.

They are only 2 days old. I myself wouldn't keep them away from mom for 15 minutes. I just let my mom and babies out in the chin safe room, sat on the floor and waited for them to come to me.

I would take Ivan out for about 10 or 15 minutes, then bring Sonya out with him and watch the two of them run around together for a half hour at the most--I could tell when Ivan was getting tired. They're so cute! Congrats.
But I have one major problem with this thread
WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?!
Lol...seriously though...MUST HAVE CHIN BABY FIX ♥

Sorry, :p I haven't had a chance to take any pictures yet, those little critters move so fast! But their sooooooo cute! I will post some tomorrow, I'll take some tonight. =)

As others have mentioned, remove the wheel. Mom has plenty to do with 3 little babies. Our rescue Bonnie had 3 little kits not to long ago. She did not cause them any harm. We did put one ledge in, which she could use for some alone time. It took about 5 or 6 weeks for the kits to be strong enough to climb up and get to the ledge.

I think mine are super to! One of them is quite the jumper :p and the other 2 love to cuddle with mom and us when we take them out. :)

I've had kits climb within hours of being born. That's why you have to make sure that the top of the cage is kit safe, too.

Don't worry :) I already made sure and they have tried and failed. :p

Latest posts

Back