malocclusion?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Embie

Hey, I've been reading a lot about malocclusion, to the point that I'm now paranoid. Only because they mention "eyes that look wet/flattened fur around the eyes" also "audible, frequent tooth grinding" Which Gizmo does most nights anyway. But he does look to have flattened fur and the wet look round the eye's. His furs looked like that since February.

In the picture there's a slight yellowy green color on the fur but that's from his eye drops he was giving after the vet said "he might have an eye infection, but couldn't see anything"

Last 4 days he's become quiet with me, instead of driving me nuts in the night he just sleeps, only eats slightly moist food as he won't touch dry, turns his head up to treats and has become less playful in a way. He's got a case of the poopers yet seems constipated too, So I'm giving him 1mil of Fibreplex mixed in with his softend pellets. I don't know if I'm paranoid over nothing "which tends to be my normal" or if I should be concerned.

Help.

No, I don't think you're being paranoid. He looks to have something, but it could be something other than tooth problems. However, based on your description, I would say its a possiblity.

His fur looks a little wet under the chin also. Is that true? Have you noticed any pawing at the mouth? I don't have any personal malo experience (Dawn and others may be along shortly) but if it were my chin, I would take it to a chin-knowledgeable vet for some x-rays.

confused.

Heya, He does paw his mouth most times and the chin wetness I can never work it out if he is or not. I did try seeing if his jaw bone was smooth but again I don't know what lump and bumps are normal same round the eye socket.

It certainly sounds like he has some teeth issues going on. The only way to know for sure is to take him to a chin experienced vet for a full dental exam. This includes x-rays. Just feeling the jaw bone and/or looking in the mouth isn't enough. If the upper roots are overgrown, they could be bothering the eye. The eye also waters in response to pain that could be caused by teeth.

I think you should take him to the vet too, i dont think your paranoid and i am constantly looking at how my chins eat and i do try to see their teethsince i read all of the stuff out there online. If you feel hes not his usual self i would take him to the vet its always better safe than sorry, he doesnt look happy in the picture.

I do hope he is ok though !!

Chins with teeth issues lose weight, its slow and gradual as the issue progresses, if there is gain I would say its not teeth.

Wet eyes can simply be from a lack of proper ventilation in the room with a build up of humidity. Often times a fan aimed at the floor to circulate air will help clear that up. However, with the other issues you describe, a vet visit would be a good idea, and since you are worrying about the teeth, it could put your fears to rest.

Wet eyes can simply be from a lack of proper ventilation in the room with a build up of humidity. Often times a fan aimed at the floor to circulate air will help clear that up. However, with the other issues you describe, a vet visit would be a good idea, and since you are worrying about the teeth, it could put your fears to rest.

I have a fan running when we have so called summers in Wales. Most times my room is quiet cool. We have a vet appointment for an x-ray on Thursday so I will post and update after he's had that done.

Just an update of Gizmo's x-ray, He does have malocclusion top roots are not bad but the bottom right part of his jaw is starting to push through, Start his diet change today... sigh.:cry3:

Elongation is a silent killer, sounds like he has elongation without malocclusion, meaning the teeth are straight and the chin is able to eat but the roots are too long. There will be a point in the future things will go bad fast I am sad to say.

yeah, which hurts me a lot, he's my baby and trying not to cry atm infront of my mum is hard. Pick him from vets later an give him cuddles when he's back..

Aww im sorry to hear this, all you can do is make him as comfortable as possible and show how much he is loved.

I'm very sorry. I'm currently worrying that my boy might have a tooth problem, and that's just a nightmare to think about. Give him lots of cuddles.

root elongation stinks. but dont give up on him just yet. provide him with stuff to chew and quality food & water. find a good medicine regime to keep him comfortable. and give him lots and lot of love and attention. as dawn said sometimes they go downhill fast. be prepared for the signs.

Thank you all. He's back home now a bit dopey from being sedated for the x-ray. He's busy munching on Woodlands Bark Bites at the moment, also got some rolled oats and american lucerne hay arriving in the next few days so hopefully that'll do his molars some good. Mean time I've sent a few emails off to vets around Wales who've dealt with this condition before in a Chinchilla to see what they recommend.

Least my little man is home.

Back