Malo

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynott86

I have been reading some people's threads talking about Malo and their Chinchilla's catching or having this disease? Just wondering what this is since people are saying they've had to put their chinchillas down because of it. What it is, signs/symptoms, is it a disease? Thank you for any help

Malo (Malocclusion) is a disease when the teeth grow to long from inside....I too researched because I have heard talk and didn't know what it was ...Malo cant be cured....teeth filing and in some cases surgery can help the chin temporally....chins with that kind of condition would require a lot of care and expenses, I think chin owners who maybe have dealt with it can give more detailed information and maybe help...
Malo can cause loss of appetite, because its a tooth problem and they can be in pain they will loose weight..if my chin ever had malo I would be very sad but making decisions about putting any pet down has different factors...will vet care and treatments help ...is there medication that can be given to help with pain ....can I devote time or give chin to someone who has the time.....

I think the most important thing is to always keep a sharp eye out for symptoms of any pet when you let there symptoms that need attention go then any disease can get worse

One of the first symptoms is when they're eating they'll start dropping the food on the floor. They'll pick up a piece take a bite and drop it. Then the drooling starts. I've been syringe feeding since September, which compared to other owners is nothing. It's time consuming and takes hold of your life. I've spent at least $2000 since september treating him and will continue to do so until he no longer shows a will to live or his quality of life is gone. Provide your chins lots of hay to wear down their teeth and look for them dropping pellets. I wouldn't wish a malo chin on my worst enemy and I've only had one for a few months.

Actually, chins with dental issues may lose weight as the first symptom. If you weigh your chin one a week and see a weight loss that continues (especially if other symptoms appear), it would be a good idea to have its teeth checked.

Back