male + female same room, different cages?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrightbrotherchins

I was curious how male chins react to females in the same room?? What are the chances of pregnancy during play time if they are allowed together??

I would like to get a female to breed in the future. However They would all need to be in my room, so I need to know if this is even a good idea.

Open to all answers but please don't freak out on me if this isn't the best of ideas.

You have two boys already right? Having a female in the same room can potentially cause your males to fight with each other when she is in heat, would could result in them no longer being able to live together.

Why do you want to breed? Do you know the backgrounds of your chins (lines they come from, genetic history, etc.)? Before you consider breeding I would recommend checking out the Breeding & Babies part of the forum to learn the good, the bad, and the ugly, along with responsible breeding practices, potential costs, etc. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85

If you allow your female to play with your males two things will happen. 1, the males will fight, possibles killing each other and 2, the female will get pregnant. It only takes (literally) 1 second for a male chinchilla to do the deed. You can't stop them in time.

The advice in the reply above mine is sound. I too would like to know the answer to those questions. Please follow the link and do some serious reading.

Breeding is not all fun and kits. I've had a very bad streak within the last year. A mother who's milk never cames in, mastitis, a miscarriage that turned into a pyo (lots of momey to save the mom so she could be a pet), and just this week I had a 1st time female have a mumified kit. That female was in with a male for 1 day! Breeding is quick in chins, so play time together is a no. I do have a group of males (caged seporate) in the same room as females. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. And be aware of how close you place the cages. I've had chins breed through bars before.

Back