male and female in same cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marinewifey4433

Okay so my friend and I were talking and she asked me this question, What if you put two males and a female in the same cage if they all got along? Of course they are going to breed, but will it make the males fight? Will it break the males bond they have together? I didn't know as I would never try that myself, because im not interested in breeding them. But I am curious as to what would happen. And sorry if this is in the wrong place but I wasn't sure where to put it.

When I first got chins, I was stupid enough to put my first male with Rex and Penelope and the two kits that came with her. I never thought it was serious until I saw the bite marks on Chip's rear end. It's a very bad idea.

The males would fight to the death over the female. Absolute worse thing you can do.

Unless one of the chins is sterilized, same sex groups are really the way to go. The first chins I ever met were living in the situation you're talking about hypothetically above. Their owner got a 3rd one (which turned out to be female) as a gift and never bothered to double check that it was male, just said "thanks grandma" and stuck her in the cage with the other two. :wacko:

So, of course, she ended up pregnant... with quads. The owner didn't notice a thing; his roommate and I looked at the cage and said, "Wait, those weren't in there yesterday. Are those... babies?" At that point, the female had the two males cornered at the top of the cage and flipped a royal fit if they so much as looked in her direction, let alone thought about getting a drink or something to eat. Then, thanks to the stress, the males ended up fighting with each other, so they're separated now (though not in a much better situation, assuming they're still alive since I last heard from the...dipstick).

Latest posts

Back