Making Wood Cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose

Moose
I would like to make a wooden cage (future...) I'm not sure what kind of wood to use...I'm allergic to pine.
Also what kind of wiring would I use?
How much appoximately would it cost if it were about 4-5ft tall and wide and deep (like a rectangle)
Could I paint it?
Tips or any websites that tell you anything about this?
Moose

I've never heard of anyone allergic to the wood of pine, that's a bummer.

Maybe you could see if aspen or poplar are doable? They will be more expensive but also sturdier. I guess if you make some walls or one wall out of melamine it can help with the cost.

The overall cost depends on how many tools and how much hardware you already have. Costs me a good $200 to build my cage but I had nothing to begin with.

I would think about if you want to make it 4-5' deep. You'd literally have to get your entire body into the cage to clean it. Drawing out very detailed plans helps a lot when you want to figure how you can go about building a cage.

I used a 16 gauge galvanized after weld 1x1/2" wire I found at Lowe's. You don't want galvanized before weld wire, though. I wouldn't get a gauge higher/smaller than 16 either (or 1.3 mm in diameter--don't know if you guys use the same measuring system as we do).

No idea about the paint--I just avoided it because I couldn't figure out if it was ok or not. I'd assume most paints would be toxic, but I'm not sure if there is a certain kind of paint or stain that would be ok.

I know there are a few threads on some other specifics of cage building. If I find any I'll link them here.

I built a wood cage myself. It cost more than I expected b/c of hardware and all the chew-safe pine planks. Cost about $200 for everything. I feel that a ferret nation would be an easy choice, but if you enjoy building a cage, then it might be fun.

You probably shouldn't pain it. Even if there wasn't any possible health issues involved, your chin would just chew random little bits of the paint off and you'd end up with an unfinished look.

You can also use melamine board for the cage itself. For the shelving on the inside, pine is what I used, but if you can find aspen planks they would work (Can you buy aspen planks?)

Back