Making Safe Toys

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolanu

The Clueless
I'd love to buy more things from everyone on this forum, but you know how it is with money! Is there any advice you guys can give me on making some good toys until I can order some awesome ones? And maybe where to buy supplies? My girls love the finger traps, not sure what else could be fun.

You can always check on ebay for supplies. Look for bird supplies/pet supplies. Some safe materials in addition to finger traps, are loofah (natural) sea grass, coconut pieces, natural vine balls,stars,hearts, etc. If you can find some wood to process and save a lot that way too.

If they like pine, you could buy some from the hardware store, and drill holes and string it on the rope above, or even sisal (make sure it's safe for birds, not hardware stuff that might have oil on it) and that would keep them busy too!
Oh and pumice stones, those can be drilled, dyed and are cheap.

Like Twilight Chinchillas said, kiln dried pine from the hardware section of like lowes or home depot. but make sure it is kiln dried. also you can get poplar wood at the hardware store. it is a little more expensive but it will give them a different taste. also you can buy galvanized wire from home depot and lowes to string the toys on. it pretty cheap and it comes in 100ft lengths. as for hook and other stuff. ebay is a great place to look. just make sure you look for the best price.

I know how you feel, I WISH I could afford to buy amazing toys, but right now I'm just making them myself. I ended up buying mostly at bird toy supplies shops (mysafebirdstore, thingsforwings, there are a ton just google them) and look for the stores that actually sell in bulk (50-100items works for me).

I make my own pine blocks because that's really cheap to do, buy galvanized wire, then get hooks from wherever is currently the cheapest. Then I buy in bulk items like finger traps, birdie bagels, willow balls/shapes, palm shredders, drilled pumice stones (I have a drill but those always fall apart when I try to drill myself). The only thing I don't have is a chin safe tree, so I will buy apple branches/other wood and either drill those for toys or give them as a nightly treat. When they chew all the bark off, you can soak them in sugar free grape koolaid.

I still need to learn how to make fleece items, but that's next :)

Back