Making fleece liners- not skilled in sewing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurenrachelle

Laurenrachelle
Anyone know if there is a certain way that these liners need to be sewed, as far as safety to the chin? I think I could figure out how to set up the sewing machine for basic stitching, would I need to do a few layers of stitches to keep it strong and safe?

Also if anyone has a pattern?... It would be awesome too! I believe it's going to be a critter nation(the person I'm buying from has both cn and fn cages so I'm just trying to remember which I'm purchasing)

Thanks for any help!

There are a few ways to sew liners, it depends on what you want and if you are putting the liners in bass pans or just covering the existing plastic pans that come with the FN/CN. For the type that sits on the pans there is a thread http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907. If you are using the pans that come with the cage then you can either use that design or a pillow case design. I use the plastic pans and found the pillow case design to work well and is very easy. You just take a piece of fleece a few inches wider then twice the width of the cage (about 4 1/2 feet) and several inches longer then the cage (about 3 1/2 feet) and fold it in half then sew up two of the three open sides (one short side and the long side). Turn it right side out and slide the pan in, tucking the extra under the pan and you are done. If you want extra absorption, place a couple sheets of fleece on the pan before you put the liner on.

I use the pillow case design also. I lay my fleece inside out on the floor. Slide the plastic pan inside and pin around it, leaving 4 to 6" at the open end. Slide the pan out and sew around it. I use heavy duty thread and leave a 4 to 6" extra on the open end to fold over and pin. Fleece has a lot of stretch so I like a tight fit. Good Luck.

I just made 4 fleece liners for the bottom, cutout, and both shelves. What I did was take the pan out, and trace its shape onto paper. I had to tape paper together to make it large enough, but it served as my pattern.

I used two layers of fleece, one each for the top and bottom of the liner, and an old towel in the middle to absorb. I sewed around the edge, left about a 4 inch opening, and pulled it inside out. Then carefully pushed the corners out, and sewed it shut. I did need to cut the fabric for the shelves about a 1/4 inch out from the pattern I drew, but the bottom pan and cutout pan were perfect when traced upside down.

It took me about 2 hours for the whole project. I am no expert seamstress, but do have some experience sewing.

I had also wondered if the "no-sew" style of cutting strips in fleece and tying would work for chins? Its super easy but I am a super new chin owner, so Im not sure if that would be safe or not.

Latest posts

Back