Making Chilla Toys?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the link you posted was for hide a ways... but I'm guessing you meant to link the toys. The easiest way to make toys is with wire, I use stainless steel hay wire (the kind used to bale hay) but I've seen other wire used, just don't use zinc or zinc coated as it's toxic to chins. You cut the wire a little longer then you want the toy and with pliers create a circle at the bottom so the pieces don't fall off (I sometimes also add a bell) then use predrilled or, if you have a drill, drill holes in the pieces just a tiny bit bigger then the wide of the wire (so it can spin) then at the top make another circle with the pliers wide enough for a clip (pear clips work well as do key rings, binder clips, and the like). Nickel plated or stainless steel chain would work too, just use clips that fit into the links of the chain and try to stick with finer link so the chin can't get caught in it.
You can also use chin safe rope, but don't expect that to stay together long.

Or if you are willing to put the money up front I really like the k-bobs and similar hanging toy metal sticks like these http://www.amazon.com/Aussie-Stainless-Steel-Skewer-Medium/dp/B003PL699M/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1433692825&sr=8-12&keywords=bird+kabob, you just refill when all the pieces you put on are chewed up. However with the wire you can bend it into other shapes, the metal rod doesn't bend.

Hopefully that helps.

I also thought making chin toys would be fun. I found parts at http://www.chinchillacity.com/chinchilla_toy_parts.html

Though I underestimated my chin's penchant for chewing all things 'rope' and he destroyed everything I made, lol. I'll have to get some items from Amethyst's list especially the wire.

I bought the little vine balls and stuff them with chew blocks, hay, rose hips etc. Keeps him busy chewing to get the stuff inside.

I actually have a comprehensive step-by-step post all about how to make your own DIY toys - post is up on my blog tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back