Major problem. Missing fur.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirCumference

This isn't your typical "chin got bored and tore out some fur". My chin, mckinley, got his foot stuck in the door to his cages hinge and managed to tear the fur and skin off his back right paw, leaving a bloody exposed area on most of it. He is running around fine and doesn't even seem to notice, but I'm wondering whether this requires immediate vet care or if he'll heal himself. I'm a new chin owner and I'm not sure about their healing abilities.. If it is a vet visit worthy type of injury, is it really really urgent? Sunday, tomorrow, my vet is closed and making an emergency call is nearly 500 dollars.

With out picture's its hard to tell how badly the wound is. If this happened to my chinchilla I would bring him to the vet just to make sure he didn't break anything and to make sure it heals properly. If it doesn't seem to bother him at the moment wait until the Vet is open. Just keep on eye on him to make sure he is drinking, eating, and that his poop is firm and not soft or runny.
Good Luck!

When my little Charlie got his toe almost bitten off by my other chin before they bonded, I was super scared he might have to get that toe or foot amputated. my vet just said put Neosporin on it and make sure its clean. The toe healed luckily and no other vet visit had to be made.

What people don't seem to understand with Chinchillas is they are prey animals which means they don't show pain as they're instinct is in the wild this is seen as weakness so don't assume that because your little chinny doesn't look as though he's in pain that he's okay. Book a visit with your vet and keep us updated. Hope the little chinny is okay and good luck.

Back