lumpy ears

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcthalionMCB

Since before I got my chinchilla (3-4 years ago) he has had lumpy ears, but the lumps are getting more numerous and are getting scabby, and crusty now. I've been treating him with bagbalm but it isn't helping. just started treating with Miconazole which is an antifungal, but not sure if it will help or not as I just started that today. I cannot afford to take him to a vet, since I don't trust our nearest exotics vet, and the next closest one is a two hour drive away, no matter which one I take him to. I just want an opinion as to what I might be dealing with here.
hope I'm not posting in the wrong section of the forum

Attachments

• Riaju's ears.jpg
    Riaju's ears.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 23
It DOES look like there was originally some scarring...which is perfectly common and would explain him having it most of his life HOWEVER, if it's recently gotten bumpier/scabby it most DEFINITELY sounds like he's possibly developed some fungus on there as well.

The miconazole WOULD definitely treat it but a couple of things. First, NOBODY recommends creams for chinchilla fungus because they can paw at it and ultimately ingest it. Second, fungus is VERY common this year and I've personally heard from several people that they've had to treat it this year. Third...fungus treatment takes FOREVER so be patient. Now, what most will recommend is putting tinactin powder in the dust bath. Do that and offer the dust bath daily. Best of luck!

Back