Lu update

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ticklechin

Dante and Lu went in the the dentist today, Dante get the same ole tooth filed and Lu got looked at again. She could not see anything visual wrong so she went ahead and started to do a cleaning, his lower rt incisor when she got to is expressed pus and blood-I noticed blood also on his paw and mouth a couple of days ago and it stumped me-never had one with a bloody mouth without manipulation-so she probed the pocket and it went down 6mm-a deep perio pocket, so she comes and gets me and shows me what is up, shows me the mouth and the pocket then we talk and she takes another x-ray of just that area, puts it on the computer and blows it up-the resolution was pretty poor but I got the gist of what she thought-there was something going on at the base of the incisor, she thinks a abcsess, I kind of agreed but reserved judgement since I have had several chins who had them and the chin was just miserable and did squat and refused to eat-Lu acts like a normal dude, eats his hand feed food without a problem, is waiting at his cage door every morning for playtime, plays for the full playtime running around, he is bright eyed, comes to the door for scritches, dust baths like a fiend. We decided rather than remove the tooth today to give him injectable baytril for 14 days and recheck how he is, I really do not want the tooth removed since it is a cruddy thing for a chin to have done, but if it needs to it needs to. I think he has just a perio infection due to what I am seeing in his actions , that does cause pain but not intense pain and he does none of the funky mouth moves and wincing that chins with cheek teeth issues perform. He came back from the dentist and ate his food like a champ, and he did not have any drool at all, he has not had any in a couple of weeks that left his mouth.

I hope he responds to the baytril! How was the x-ray different? Do those type of infections show up on regular x-rays? Or like below?

(Reminds me of when my husband went to the dentist with pain in a tooth, they took x-rays, said it was fine. That night, terrible pain, then next day at the endodontist, he finds a bad infection and gave him a root canal).

We will be keeping paws crossed for Lu. I know you are a great chin mom and will do all you can for him.

Wow, Lu is a tough little man. I certainly would not be eating and playing with an abscess in my mouth! Hope the Baytril clears it up for you.

I hope he responds to the baytril! How was the x-ray different? Do those type of infections show up on regular x-rays? Or like below?

(Reminds me of when my husband went to the dentist with pain in a tooth, they took x-rays, said it was fine. That night, terrible pain, then next day at the endodontist, he finds a bad infection and gave him a root canal).

The original x-rays were a full mouth set, this x-ray they zeroed in on the lower rt quadrant, just the 1st three molars. They can be almost impossible to see on a normal x-ray.

Latest posts

Back