Low body temperature?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jess32247

Took the chin to the vet today for soft poops and diarrhea and they said she had a lower then normal body temperature, which is pretty concerning. I don't remember what the vet said exactly (it's been such a long day), but she did say that it wasn't critical, but it was concerning. I'm not finding much information on this, so I thought I'd ask here- why does she have a low body temp and is there a way I can help? She's in finished basement with only a small space heater running during the day, it usually stays around 50F-60F from what I can tell during the winter, or so the cheap thermometer says.

Thank you in advance for your help, I really appreciate it. <3

Low temp is harder to diagnose than high temp. A high temp is generally an infection and they can easily find the cause and a proper treatment but a low temp can be anything. That's probably why they didn't give a complete diagnosis. It could be an infection so serious it's gone septic. Recently had a rabbit get a bad infection in a wound over the tail and by the time we got to the vet she had gone septic and organs were failing so her body was not maintaining temp. After 4 months of intensive care she died of resulting neurological damage. It could be a failure of any body system. It could be a blood flow issue. Minor not needing treatment to major life threatening. It could also mean nothing. One side of my whole family has a temp 5F below normal. It would take blood tests and other further testing to figure it out.

Back