Loves To Cuddle - Normal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikaelaW

Hi everyone! My little girl is 2 months and 2 weeks old so I don't let her out for playtime, but I do hold her and let her get to know me. She was loved and handled well when she was younger and she loves being out of her cage and getting attention, even though she loves being held because she thinks she can escape and explore. Recently I was holding her and I wanted to see if she would just be content and not try to escape while out of her cage. I put her in the front of a big shirt I was wearing (like a kangaroo pouch) and she burrowed down, cuddled up and rolled around all content and napped for hours. Is this normal? I was kind of shocked at how willing she was to just lay with me and if she gets woken up while she's in this spot she'll look up at me with little mad eyes and go back and get comfortable.

I was thinking of possibly making a fleece sling so she could be close to me and do the same, but this way I'll feel better knowing she's in safe fabric all the time (not to mention I'd rather not be pee'd on accidentally in the future, though luckily this hasn't happened) Does this seem like a good idea? Lol or do I just have a weird chin?! (Also, if anyone knows, what does it mean when they roll around? She seems to be getting comfortable? But I was just curious) And whenever I put her back in her cage from the pouch she resists and her ears go flat for a few minutes like she's mad at me for not letting her cuddle all day. Lol am I just spoiling her?

One last thing, when she's trying to burrow and I don't let her go to a certain corner she sounds like she sneezes? She has done this 3 times, on different occasions but always when she's trying to snuggle. It almost sounds more like a grunt or like she's annoyed. I'm also worried that she is smelling some subtle smell from my laundry and it's making her sneeze (another reason I was thinking of making a fleece pouch). Does anyone have any idea if chins make little grunts at you if they don't get their way?

Thanks everyone. I just want to know if other chins do this or if she's normal?! Hahah

The biggest thing I would be worried about with a sling is overheating. Fleece is warm itself, and up against your body, she could get pretty warm.

The biggest thing I would be worried about with a sling is overheating. Fleece is warm itself, and up against your body, she could get pretty warm.

Yeah I've been trying to watch her for signs that she's getting warm while up against me then I put her back in her cage. I had that same worry about fleece, especially if she's laying in it for a long time. I just didn't know what else would be a good alternative. Maybe I should only let her out and do it every now and then and just monitor her? It's so strange because she seems to love it, I don't get it.

I would be concerned about the fleece sling getting too hot, also. Her rolling around could mean she's enjoying herself or wanting a dusting. My girl is always happy to tell me she wants he dust by rolling around my feet lol

You are lucky to have a cuddly chin. The majority of mine are sweet, but spazzy, they want to get down and run. Enjoy her! But as was mentioned above, cuddle in moderation.

Latest posts

Back