Lost hedgie owner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chusker29

I'm a new hedgie owner that found they fit my life style as I'm late to bed, late riser type of person. I learned a few things about them from a person I use to know who had them and I seemed to not remember everything she told me as I've made a few mistakes already in the first week but did buy a book and foud that there is tons of different info on hedgies that don't all match up, including in the temparture department. Anyhow, after the first week here, my hedgie has gotten use to my family and me and this evening I took him out of his cage and he seemed kind of lathargic but moved normally when he did move. He kind of scared me though as for the first time he just layed in my hand (4 months old supposedly), his chin/snout resting on my hand and kind of looked like he was about to go to sleep. This is evening time mind you. Can this be normal if he has gotten that used to me this quick or maybe he might be sick ? How can I tell. Thank you.

Is his tummy cool or cold? Or toasty warm?. Does he become more active after laying on your chest for 30 minutes or so? If so, then he is likely a little cold. Based on your description I am wondering if your hedgehog isn't cold. Even if the room is warm enough, he could be getting chilled from a draft.

Temperatures should be around 72 F minimum. However, some hedgehogs actually require a higher minimum temperature.

Watch out for hedgehog books. There are very few on the market that contain any information that is useful. Many actually are so old that they contain harmful information. I have one that says to feed kitten food and eggs, which will quickly lead to a hedgehog suffering from fatty liver disease.

His tummy was warm it seemed so I guess he was ok ?? I put him back in the cage and about an hour later he was up and acting normally like he does at night so I assume he is ok. It just scared me with the way he was acting. Lost my mother little over 2 years ago so death has put me on edge with the animals and people around me when I see them still and not moving as normal. By the way, is it ok to give him a little kitten food here and there? Seems like the pet store gave him some. He was supposedly only there a week. We were told by the pet store to give him the kitten food and meal worms, he will eat the kitten food and won't touch the meal worms. I knew from a friend that owned a hedgie that this wasn't right but it has been some time since I talked to her and need to relearn things. Thanks

A little higher fat food is ok for babies, they will use the extra calories to grow. You will just need to ween him off of this as he gets older.

Not eating mealworms isn't too alarming. Some won't touch them for a while. I have had a couple that just wouldn't touch them and then one day suddenly tried them and loved them. So don't give up hope. Hedgehogs can be very resistant to new foods, keep trying and hopefully he will "see the light" and enjoy them.

Another thought, if you are worried about his health, watch his weight. If he is a baby he should be gaining weight. I weigh my hedgehogs daily. Often the first symptom of illness can be an unexplained weight change.

I'd say the sleepiness, if not due to being cold, is normal, since you said he does wake up later. Mine's like a teenager, you have to wake her up twice and then she'll still hide in bed until you make her get out lol.

I have to wake Winston up, and he's totally content to go back to sleep in my elbow. When I put him out in the kitchen when I first got him, he also moved slow, cos I think he was exploring new surroundings, and not sure where to go or what was safe. Now he just runs everywhere. If he's warm when you wake him up, his temperature should be ok

Kendra

Thanks all, I did put a digital thermometer in the room to keep a eye on the temp by his cage. I'm working on at least 71/72 degrees minimum for the room. I keep a space heater handy in there in case it isn't enough. Seems like he is ok after last nights behavior and acting normally. By the way, when is the hedgie adulhood reached? He is supposedly 4 months old now and what is a good weight for now to his adult hood ? Thanks

Husker the Hedgehog update

Took Husker in for an exam with a vet. Dr. Finch was her name. She confirmed alot that has been said on her already and made me feel better that I'm starting off with a healthy hedgehog thank God. Apparently a lot of people don't do a vet exam at first to make sure they are healthy at first but I would hate to think I wasn't doing the right things to help him live a long hedgie life. Thanks all for helping. I'm sure I'll be back to the forum often to learn what others are doing with their hedgie buddies like myself.

Latest posts

Back