Loss of limb use

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica93

I Have a 2.5-3 year old hedgie that i've had since he was a baby.
About 2 months ago, he lost use of his right front leg. He wouldn't respond to me touching it, etc. and when he curled up into a ball, the leg would be left sticking out.
A couple of days ago, he lost the use of his back right leg. He responds to it a little bit, but he can't/won't walk on it, and now can hardly get himself around.
He's now in a small carrier cage so he is never too far away from his food and water.
I took him to the vet and they said it was most likely WHS.
Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable? I feel like he's just miserable all the time. He hasn't been able to use his wheel since he lost use of his front arm, and he can't move himself around a larger cage, so he just sleeps and eats. Is there anything that i can give him to do when he's up at night?

I'm so sorry to hear that! I don't have any experience with WHS, but I've looked at pages where owners construct maze-like constructions to help them move around and get some exercise. You may want to look into something like that while he's not totally immobile. I thought WHS started in the hind limbs first, and then moved forward to the front of the body? Like I said, I really don't know as I've never experienced this.

Did your vet do any x-rays? When Poptart lost the use of her backlegs we did an x-ray and it showed she has a herniated/ruptured disc.

Latest posts

Back