Looking to buy a male hedgehog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misslaurie447

Hello,
I live in NM and I have been trying to find a hedgie breeder around here and have yet to find one (I can only find pet shops). I heard (in an email from craigslist) that there is a breeder in El Paso which is 30 min from where I live, but I have yet to find this elusive breeder. It would've helped if the girl gave me at least a name or even a phone number/email address and she has yet to fulfill my request for that info.
Does anyone know of a hedgehog breeder close to Las Cruces, NM? I am willing to drive a few hours if necessary but I am hoping someone can point me in the direction of the El Paso, TX breeder(s). I'd like to get a male under a year old, a baby is my preference.

Thanks everyone :)
Laurie

Since you're specifying a particular sex, I'm wondering if you're thinking of breeding him in the future vs would just like a hedgie boy as a pet? If it's the former, then you'll want to get very specific with your search... looking for super reputable breeders and push the geographical boundaries of your search further.

Male Hedgie

I heard that males have better temperaments and they are usually cheaper, I also heard that getting them from breeders is better than getting them from pet shops. Just trying to go with advice I've heard.

Thanks

Im SO sorry that this is off, but i lived in las cruces NM so its pretty rare i see people from cruces :)

For hedgies, here aren't really differences in temperament or personality that run along gender lines. I wouldn't let that influence your decision. Though there is one difference in terms of health and one in terms of behavior. Health: girls have more of a cancer risk -- ovarian cancer (which would be exclusive to females); boys don't seem to carry a similar risk with their gonads. Behavior: boys (not all of them, mind you) tend not to be terribly inhibited when it comes to enjoying themselves and they'll leave rather sticky messes behind that are very difficult to wash out.

And, yep, provided you have a reputable breeder, it's definitely better to go with a breeder than a pet shop. I'd check out:
http://hedgehogclub.com/breeders.html
http://hedgehogcentral.com/breederusa.shtml

Things you'll want to look for is: are they a member of the Hedgehog Breeders Alliance? International Hedgehog Association? Are they USDA certified? Do the recommendations on their web pages seem to be in line with what you're reading on CnH about providing good care for your hedgie? Pay attention to what your gut tells you.

Latest posts

Back