Looking skinnier....but eating?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtpie61282

Not sure if you all remember my post a few months ago about my sapphire male from Ryersons that would self mutilate his tail whenever he would get too near a female's cage...I was back and forth about pairing him, finally got his tail under control, put a very large standard sc female next to him and after a while of introduction, put him in with her.
They have been doing excellent ever since, they cuddle, they are just in love with each other. The male hasn't tried chewing anything!

So there is the background...now here is my issue.
I noticed the past day or two that the female was looking a tad skinnier. She was always a pretty chunky girl but shes not as round and not as filled out as usual. She still eats her pellets, I think same amount as usual, she eats hay and is drinking fine.

What could be the issue? I know she can't be getting more exercise with the male in the cage, enough to be causing that much of a difference...since she is otherwise normal, could she be pregnant and the litter inside her is just not good for her? Draining her? Im concerned :-(

Thoughts??:hmm:

Not yet but that is my next plan of action.

Im wondering if I pull him out, if she will gain some weight back, maybe the stress of having a cagemate is causing it? Im just baffled.

It could be that h e is stressing her out, or maybe he is keeping her from eating as much as she does when she is alone.

Im going to separate them again the way they were before and see if over a few months, if she picks up her weight.
She definitely has an appetite.

I just hope by pulling them apart that it doesn't make him crazy again. Ugh, these poor sensitive creatures!:wacko:

Before separating (it would appear) a happy couple, why not try 2 food bowls. That way, if he's bullying her, he can't be in both bowls at once.

Before separating (it would appear) a happy couple, why not try 2 food bowls. That way, if he's bullying her, he can't be in both bowls at once.

I agree with Lynn. Plus watch her weight. Since you have had problems finding the male a mate and moving him might cause behavior problems I would leave them together as long as the female appears to be happy. If after a reasonable amount of time she is losing weight or appears to be unhappy then separate them.

Yeah, when you're breeding especially for any weight issue, you should just use the scale. It's really the best way to assess weight loss or gain. Sometimes if a litter is carrying weird a female may have a different appearance than what she normally does. Doesn't mean she's lost weight, but it could. You really need to weigh her now. Then do a weight tracking for a bit. Likewise, the two bowl suggestion is a good one that you should follow. Update us.

thanks everyone. The two bowl Idea is great, I actually had two in there from the beginning when I first introduced then, and eventually went to one larger one.
I pulled him out tonight just to see, and it was before I read all these more recent posts....and I watched her for a bit, she was eating the pellets and the loose hay I had in there, and also drinking well. I think with him around she was avoiding the bowl and water :-( My poor thing!

They are a happy couple, and I hate separating them otherwise, but should I keep him out for now and allow her to just get a little head start on eating again? I can put him back in maybe in a few days or a week and give them two bowls...I just don't want her to get too weak where she stops eating all together and force feeding becomes necessary. So maybe just let her bounce back first?

Thank you all so much for your advice and thoughts....some great ideas!!! And Ill work on weighing her tomorrow....I didn't have the chance today

Oh, it sounds like you should hang 2 water bottles as well, since you noticed that she was drinking more without him in with her.

Latest posts

Back