looking for willow coins like sold at PPBN

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishellyshel

Chin Slave
I am in search of the willow coins that are like the ones that PPBN sold.

I know there are a few vendors that sell willow coins (actually i prepare my own) but i can not find any like the ones she sold. they had a nice thick soft bark on them and they are the only ones my dental chins loves! he will eat some thin apple twigs but those are his favorite. i only have a handful left as i have been rationing them but i was wondering if anyone knew of anyone that had something similar.

it does not "have" to be willow but it seems that was the only variety that was a softer wood. suggestions??

Maybe post a picture?

There are hundreds of types of willow, unless you know exactly which variety she used it may be difficult. Ronda might be able to at least ID the type based on the bark for you.

:))

i will take a pic tonight in case anyone has any!

and V if you get anymore please keep me in mind! my dad has willow trees but they do not have that nice bark on them :(

i have a table saw, so i can make my own coins plus i prepare all my own wood, so i could even take raw branches.

The octillo is great. Susan also has yucca which is even softer. It's hit or miss with my chins, but the ones that like it shred it to bits!

i have a table saw, so i can make my own coins plus i prepare all my own wood, so i could even take raw branches.

Be very careful using a table saw for cutting coins. You really need either a band saw or a radial arm.

A long piece of wood is hard to handle and run it through the table saw blade. With a band saw you can hold it on both sides as you run it through the blade and with the radial arm you slide the branch up against the fence and draw the blade through the wood. That's the easiest way because all branches being different sizes can catch easily or roll easily on a table saw.

Ronda

thanks. im not really sure what kind of saw we have to be honest. i just assumed since it was on a table......well it was a table saw!

i dont really want to prepare the coins myself but i am trying to find the willow coins with the thick bark and i am having a hard time.

maybe i will try the yucca or octillo. i dont have access to either so i will have to see who has what when!

The older the tree gets the thicker the bark.

Please post a picture of your "table" saw. I can tell you what it is.

My advice to anybody attempting to use any power equipment would be to take a few safety courses before you cut off your finger/hand, etc. If you don't know what it is you can't even ask for advice.

Remember Tim the tool guy from Home Improvement? The stuff he did happens all the time - not just for laughs like on his show - and the consequences are permanent.

Ronda

speaking of ppbn, has anyone heard anything about her, is she going to open back up. i loved her wood!

When I last talked to her around April, she had no plans to reopen. She had a lot of personal things going on and needed to recover.

Barb does wholesale to one place. I have ordered from them. They are in Canada but they drive down to Washington once a week to ship priority mail in the U.S.

Here's the link:
http://www.thingsforwings.ca/

Click on toy parts, then woodlands. I purchased about 8 of the scrap packs last time.

Those must be supplies they bought from her when she was still selling wood. I also bought wholesale from her and still have some of her wood that I sell, but she lost everything including her wood shop in a fire last spring.

When I ordered, which was more recent than last spring, she said she does buy (present tense) from Barb. Hmmmm. I sorry I never knew about the fire.

yah i knew about the fire, how sad.. but i thought she was gonna start selling wholesale againg. thanks

Back