Looking for a running wheel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shopaholic0514

Hi, everybody! I am a new member here, so glad I found this forums, me and my Nemo (my 3 year old male chin) both feel lucky about it!
I am currently looking for a chinchilla running wheel for Nemo, he got fed too much treats from the previous owner and got really fat, in fact, I have never seen such big chinchilla before! (When I learned how to post pic, I will put a pic on here so you guys know how big he is)
Anyways, I am trying to help him lose weight, by not giving him any treats (is that okay?) for a while and getting him a running wheel.
I normally let him out for an hour everyday when I get home from work but I think its better to have something in his cage so he can exercise more.
Does anybody know where to get a fair priced running wheel that is not plastic and does not make noises?
I found one online, but it was about 100 dollars, and I can't afford that. I was thinking something around 50 maybe? And it has to be a big one, since Nemo is a big boy!
Thank you guys in advance!!!

The Chin Spin is a great wheel and it can be repaired when the bearing go out on it. It is also a big wheel. It should be big enough for you chinchilla.

thanks everybody for your reply. I just ordered a 15'' wheel from quality cage.:tease:

Rainey, have you shopped at this site before? There is no information about the company's location, the owner or anything on that site. Is it safe to shop there?

Rainey, have you shopped at this site before? There is no information about the company's location, the owner or anything on that site. Is it safe to shop there?
Shopaholic, I do not recommend shopping at the second site Rainey mentioned. People have had trouble getting the products they purchased. I have edited Rainey's post to remove link.

The Silver Surfer and Chin Spins are both good wheels. My personal favorite is the Silver Surfer.

When i took my boy in he came with a large plastic Chin Spin type wheel. They were horrible. (As i imagin any plasic would be) But i didnt care for the shape either.
I have two Metal flying saucer wheels. They are wonderfull. Expencive, but wonderfull. And probably take just a little more room then those circle wall mounted ones.
Upside for the saucer is a chin can fully extend while running which is much more natural for them. Also since its metal, the chin cant rly chew on it or damage it.
Also since its based on a center bearing, should the wheel ever go south and not spin anymore, You can get a new $2 bearing, replace it, and it should be as good as new all over again. They also come in diffrent sizes.
Iv had my first one for many years (3+? maybe) and it still works perfectly without any maintence on it.

The only downside, is that inital price. But imo, it was worth it.

I found an all metal wheel on this website: http://www.chincessories.com/. I checked out the quality cages one, the chin spin, and the flying saucer, but they were a little above my price range. I was able to get this wheel for 22 dollars, and it seems to work great, as well as being a good size.

I found an all metal wheel on this website: http://www.chincessories.com/. I checked out the quality cages one, the chin spin, and the flying saucer, but they were a little above my price range. I was able to get this wheel for 22 dollars, and it seems to work great, as well as being a good size.

I'm assuming your referring to the first wheel under 'cage acc'. If so, how strong are those wheels actually? Maybe its just the picture but it looks like it has the strength of tin foil to me. And obviously that wouldn't work, so i would imagine its better then that. I'm just curious

I'm assuming your referring to the first wheel under 'cage acc'. If so, how strong are those wheels actually? Maybe its just the picture but it looks like it has the strength of tin foil to me. And obviously that wouldn't work, so i would imagine its better then that. I'm just curious

if you read the previous posts, people don't recommond that website. Also, I emailed the oowner, the running surface for that wheel is 4'' wide, I personally rather a wider one, since my chin is fat.

I have done business with that site and am currently in a transaction with them to get a second wheel and some shelves. They're very nice people and I haven't had a problem.

I got one of their wheels last year and it is a 4" running surface. I use it when I go on vacation because it's light and easy to travel with. The bearing can be noisy but I packed it with grease to reduce the noise and when it's mounted on the cage it's close enough to the wall that the chin can't get behind it. It needs a bit of a push to get started which gives your chin a good workout as well. I have a chin spin for home and just got a second one for my second boy. These narrower wheels are going north to outfit the "home away from home".

They are: http://forchinatechins.com/whoweare.htm And I only know them from this site, their store site, and my experience doing business with them, which was positive. I would hope others have had a positive experience as well. It's tough to run a shop of any kind these days and raise a growing family, I would think.

Latest posts

Back