Looking for a little insite! Please help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milo10

Ok, So I want to get a hedge hog. I have 1 chinchilla, and I was planning on getting the critter nation the double one. I was wondering since that can be divided if one can go on the top and the other can be on the bottom?

Also, could the chin and hedgie play together?

Would Mazuri be ok to feed and what other food do you recommend?

Just want to get these answered! I want to get some more info before getting one! So any info that you have that I could use be sure to tell me on this thread! Thanks :)

No, chins and hedgie's cannot play together. Please read the FAQ's in the hedgie section first. Also, hedgies and chins require different temperatures. Hedgie's need a warmer temp and chins need cooler temps.

1. Splitting a cage with a chin and a hedgehog isn't going to work for many reasons. However the biggest one that stands out is that the temperature requirements for these two animals are completely opposite. Your chinchilla likes it cool. Hedgehogs require at a minimum of 72F. There are plenty of hedgehogs that need it closer to 75 or higher though. This isn't going to make Milo happy, and temperatures Milo likes will cause hibernation attempts in hedgehogs.

2. Mazuri food. Yuck. Most foods labeled for hedgehogs are just plain out crap. Read through the nutrition section. You'll find that most of us feed a high quality, low fat cat kibble, along with supplements of insects, fruits and cooked vegetables.

While this forum blends hedgehogs and chinchillas, these two animals are complete opposites in their needs and behaviors.

Ask lots of questions. One question to concentrate on is ask yourself what do you expect out of a pet. I've had plenty of people who wanted hedgehogs, answer this question for me, and then decided that a hedgehog really didn't fit.

Like Sandi said, they require totally opposite temperature conditions. You most likely would not be able to house a hedgie and a chin in the same room, let alone in the same cage.

eta Julie posted the same time as me.

It is highly doubtful you could even house a chin and a hedgie in the same room. They are total opposites in temperature requirements. Chins you need air conditioning for, hedgies you need a heat source.

Playtime could never happen and neither would get any benefit from mutual playtime. Chins are bouncy and active, hedgies shy and quiet.

Their nutritional requirements are different as well.

I have a wonderful friend, Tawana--who actually has taken in rescue hedge hogs and well as rescue chins. This past spring I visited her and noticed her house setup--her bedroom was blazing hot! heaters going in the bedroom where she had several hedge hog cages and setups. Her naked cat loved laying in that room where it was also nice and toasty warm for him.

On the opposite end of the house where the chins--nice and cool! a couple of guinea pigs in the chin room as well.

If you can have completely separate rooms and housing abilities for a chin and hedgie then you could own both--but hedge hogs need a very warm climate--they have a totally different diet, they also require baths of the water kind I believe.

Chins should never get wet, they eat a diet of only pellets and hay--no meat whatsoever, and chins should never get above 74 degrees.

Falicia, if you want a companion for your chinchilla, purchase another chinchilla of the same gender. Mixing species is ALWAYS a bad idea. You have been advised NOT to let your dog in the room when Milo is out to play. The dangers of this are very clear to anyone that uses common sense. Chinchillas=prey, dog=predator therefore dog+chinchilla=bad idea.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=124136530938954&topic=216

1. You're asking about yet ANOTHER exotic species. Sugar gliders have temperature needs as well that run warmer than chinchillas. They cannot share a cage. A chinchilla can share a cage with a chinchilla...WHY the need for another species??

2. You're asking a broker that has a bad reputation about animals that he wants to sell to make some $$. He recently showed up at a reptile show with a hedgehog on its last legs for sale...a tiny bit of research goes a LONG way. http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pet/2108635084.html

Please, don't endanger Milo or any other exotic species by even entertaining the idea of housing them together. Even in a split level cage, with the different temperature requirements it is NOT advisable.

I am doing the research! Thats why I was asking for your guy's opinions and for some insite. My dog is not in the same room as Milo when shes out playing. Milo likes to jump on my dog. i never let my dogs out in the same room when milo is playing.

I am doing the research! Thats why I was asking for your guy's opinions and for some insite. My dog is not in the same room as Milo when shes out playing. Milo likes to jump on my dog. i never let my dogs out in the same room when milo is playing.

If you never let them in the same room then how do you know Milo likes to jump on your dog? on the sugar glider question it sounded like you let them out together being that you said Milo likes to sit by your dog...

well any way. In the end you really shouldn't mix species all have seperate care requirements. They should be in different rooms

shes always on my lap if i'm in the living room and mya my dog is out...mya loves to lay her head on my lap. and milo will walk up to her and just sit there by her..Mya pays no mind to the chin..

I'm not planning an getting anyother exotic animal just yet. As I stated in that facebook comment about the sugar glider.

Back