Long term pain relief?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veronica

A 7-year old fur-chewing peg leg female came to me this past fall. By peg leg, I mean that she is missing 2/3 of one back foot, so she only has a little stump/heel.

She had been chewed all over and we think some of it may have been done by a previous cagemate. Her fur has now filled in nicely along her back, but the hips are still chewed. I'm just wondering if her chewing could be pain related due to the misalignment of her hips because of the peg leg. She shuffles pretty quickly, but is lopsided.

Is there any natural, safe to use long term pain reliever for chins?

I think fur chewing is normally attributed to stress though I suppose pain can be stressful as well. Does she show any signs of pain such as teeth grinding, lethargy, or lack of appetite? The best remedy for fur chewing is just to minimize stress as much as possible, sometimes you can make a difference and sometimes you cannot. Some have success with pairing a chewing chin though it doesn't always work. Keep her in the quietest area of your house. Long term pain medication is not healthy for any species. If you think she is in pain perhaps a very experienced vet could best advise you whether there is any recourse. Best wishes for her.

I have heard from a few vets that Tramadol may be better for long term pain control than metacam. It does not have as many side effects, and, according to my vet, can be given for life if needed. We have a dental chin who gets it about half of the year, depending on how he is doing pain wise. You only need one dose, and it really seems to help our chin be able to eat on his own. Just a thought if she really does need pain meds.

I was hoping maybe something herbal or some kind of supplement. What would someone do for an arthritic chin?

I don't know for certain that she's in pain. She does not grind her teeth, her energy level is consistent (granted she doesn't jump off the walls like the other chins) and her appetite is normal too.

Latest posts

Back