Long Move and Chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamaisVu

Due to work reasons, I need to move across the country. I was wondering what's the best way to do this?

Do any airlines allow chins? How do they react to airplanes?

I've also considered driving, but this is definitely not a one-day drive, so I'm worried about them...specially my boy, who is really not a fan of carries or being handled (he freaks out quite a bit when either happens, while being a sweetheart at all other times). Do hotels allow chins? Is it bad for them to stay in the carrier for so long?

Also, any recommendations in terms of carriers for these sort of things? I have a cat carrier, but it's hard to get both of them at once, and they seem to be starting to nibble the plastic, so I want to change it for something sturdier.

Thanks for your help!

Most people I know have sold their chinchillas before they move because, chinchillas are "stress-worthy". Now, I am not saying sell them. I would say driving will be safest for the chins, because you can keep and eye on them. I would get an open carrier to make sure they do not over heat as well has enough room to roam. My chinchillas sleep in the car with me:)

We moved from California to Oregon in August. We put pepper in a carrier that is plastic bottom and wire top. We took two days to drive and he was fine. We told the hotel about the dogs but not the cat or chin. He was fine, but was happy to see his cage. He even had to listen to the cat holler the whole way.

Most people I know have sold their chinchillas before they move because, chinchillas are "stress-worthy". Now, I am not saying sell them. I would say driving will be safest for the chins, because you can keep and eye on them. I would get an open carrier to make sure they do not over heat as well has enough room to roam. My chinchillas sleep in the car with me:)

Selling your pet for a move is irresponsible, besides, they have a higher chance of dying or being abused if you sell them to some stranger. Or ending up on crags list in 2 months. -_-

Anyway last dec i moved from Florida to Washington state and my girl made it with no issues. it took us 5 day due to my husband getting sick too. I would say have two separate cages as they might fight if stuck in close quarters for extended periods of time. If you cant make the drive in two days stay at a hotel each night, i noticed my girl couldnt really eat or drink much while the car was moving. Also they mostly try to lay down with the movement. I bought a cheap 15$ wire cage made for rats to use as a carrier. Hotels i didnt inform them and i didnt let her loose, make sure you clean up any hay/sawdust.

If you can use an airplane i think that would be best, however find one that lets them as carryon not cargo. You will have to get a cage that fits their regulations and usually a vet check. I think most airlines do have pet policy's but im not sure which allow carryon pets and i do know you have to reserve it ahead of time as usually there is a total pet limit on the plane.

Good luck and grats on the new job.

Selling your pet for a move is irresponsible, besides, they have a higher chance of dying or being abused if you sell them to some stranger. Or ending up on crags list in 2 months. -_-

Anyway last dec i moved from Florida to Washington state and my girl made it with no issues. it took us 5 day due to my husband getting sick too. I would say have two separate cages as they might fight if stuck in close quarters for extended periods of time. If you cant make the drive in two days stay at a hotel each night, i noticed my girl couldnt really eat or drink much while the car was moving. Also they mostly try to lay down with the movement. I bought a cheap 15$ wire cage made for rats to use as a carrier. Hotels i didnt inform them and i didnt let her loose, make sure you clean up any hay/sawdust.

If you can use an airplane i think that would be best, however find one that lets them as carryon not cargo. You will have to get a cage that fits their regulations and usually a vet check. I think most airlines do have pet policy's but im not sure which allow carryon pets and i do know you have to reserve it ahead of time as usually there is a total pet limit on the plane.

Good luck and grats on the new job.
I didnt know you werent aloud to sell your chinchillas. Im sure she has a right to. I like to put my chinchillas first,and whatever is less stressful for them i will do it. And i said as an option not a demand. And have you heard of a Re-Homing fee? It helps prevent an abusive owner. I got all my chinchillas off of criagslist, and they make me one of the happiest people.. Anyway...

I took mine on vacation from CA to FL and back as carry on luggage and they did fine, mine have also been everywhere from camping in Yosemite in a tent to a luxury hotel and everything in between, they do fine on long trips and it drives me NUTS when people say they are fragile and can't go anywhere because they might freak out and die, and to rehome them for this reason is just stupid to suggest.

I didnt know you werent aloud to sell your chinchillas. Im sure she has a right to. I like to put my chinchillas first,and whatever is less stressful for them i will do it. And i said as an option not a demand. And have you heard of a Re-Homing fee? It helps prevent an abusive owner. I got all my chinchillas off of criagslist, and they make me one of the happiest people.. Anyway...

I didn't say it wasn't allowed, and the OP didn't suggest it either, that other poster did. I said it was irresponsible and that is perfectly true. You buy an animal that can live 20 years you darn well better plan to take it on a few moves. I used to raise and sell animals for years, my mom did too, and I can't count how many times "good owners" will call you up to buy a new animal cause the first one died. Besides the idea that a chin can't move a few states is silly, what do people think happens to all those chins in shows?

Anyway the main question for this thread was about how best to transport. I still think airplane is good if you carry it on, and driving is good just prepare ahead breaks, stops and use a safe travel cage. and make sure your car also has temp control. =P

Dawn, I also bring my chins on vacations =) Mainly as I have had too many pets die while left in the care of others, even with very specific instructions. =(

Last edited:
I moved from Alaska to Georgia, it took us 7 days. We had 4 chinchillas and 4 dogs and everyone did wonderful. Due to the dogs we stayed in pet friendly hotels that had no pet restrictions or weight limits. We must have been quit the site! We stayed in one really nice hotel in the middle of Omaha, it even had a big waterfall in the lobby, now walking through there that was funny! There was no "back door" so we paraded through with 4 dogs while everyone looked at us like we were crazy and then came back down again only to return with 2 cages of chinchillas. I'm sure people talked but the pets didn't seem to mind. The biggest "issue" we had was we didn't plan out the car correctly and put the chinchillas in the back so it was easiest to get to them and the clean up was the easiest however we worried about them getting too hot, even if we blasted the AC, so we had to rearrange the car mid trip.

Good luck, it really is a lot easier then you would think it would be!

Ashley

Thank you all for the advice! It really makes me feel a lot better. I'd much rather not give them up if I don't have to...I almost feel like I would be abandoning them if I did.

I'll definitely start looking for airlines first (any suggestions?), if not then I'll drive.

I drove across most of Canada last summer, Victoria, BC to Toronto, ON, with two cats and a chin in the car. Our chin traveled like a champ, we just made sure he had hay and pellets available, gave him a fleece blanket to cuddle in, and made sure that the car was the appropriate temperature before driving. We used all pet-friendly hotels since we had the cats. A lot of hotels are pet friendly and just charge $5-10 extra if you have pets. I also have two chins been flown from Vic to TO next week and from talking with others who have had chins flown to them they travel well providing they are temp. controlled and have food.

I use this carrier for transport. It works out really nicely. I wrapped it in fleece so they won't chew the plastic.

When you are driving, you will want to put hay cubes in for less mess! Ha ha. And stopping every 3 hours or so is a good idea to offer water. As a previous poster mentioned, they don't drink well in the car, plus hanging a bottle could cause them to get wet!

I think it is totally do-able to drive or to fly! When we were considering flying, I think it was $150 to have them as a carry-on, which isn't too bad :) I definitely don't think you have to get rid of your chin! You sound like you're willing to try, and that determination is all you really need!

I've got to make a long move that will take me 2-3 days of driving. I've got a cage that is about 3ft long by 1.5ft wide by 1.5ft tall. That worked well last time when I was traveling with 1 chin. Now that I have 2, I'm wondering if it would be safe to put both in that same cage. They are already cagemates and get along well. I'm just worried if the size is too small.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!!

When are you moving? I have never had a problem shipping chins but I have avaoided doing it in summer or even early fall due to the temp. I have also traveled on 4 day trips and took chins with me. They adjust better than you would think. I have had to take kits and their mothers to work or family functions to hand feed and as long as you are aware of temp the whole time its very doable. I am extremely over protective so if they don't have to be out of my sight they won't be. As long as you plan ahead and take proper precautions(like checking the ac in your car before trips) everyone should be fine.

I'm moving in a couple weeks. I've driven them around before, but in a larger cage. I just want to know if that smaller one would be ok, since it can sit in the front seat next to me, so I can monitor them. The bigger cage I have would be in the back of my SUV, and I wouldnt be able to see.

Back