Long Drives ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breevass

We are about to embark on a driven journey from Alaska, through Canada, to Kentucky. All with our darling Athena. Have any of you guys undertaken such a drive with your chin ? Or have any suggestions as to what will make her life easier on the road ?

Anytime I travel awhile with my chins, I keep them in a cat carrier with bedding and a big handful of hay and some chew toys. I also attach a small water bottle to the carrier. You don't want a large cage as any sudden stops or turns can send them flying in the cage. A carrier is much safer as it is smaller and more confined. When you make a stop you can offer her a bowl of pellets (I don't keep the bowl in there while driving, due to the possible sudden stop thing). Make sure you keep the cage out of direct sunlight and off of the floor of the car as it can get warm. Most chins always do really well with travelling...mine just sleep.

I'll second the idea of using a small hard-sided cat carrier. You'll want something that can protect Athena in the event of a collision. Even hard stops can send a small animal flying around; a small carrier limits the amount of space she'll travel. If you don't already have one, look for one that has a little tab for a seatbelt to run through.

Take a look at using some sun shades to keep the sun from shining directly onto the carrier. You can get little mesh screens that suction-cup to your windows and you can still see through them (not perfectly, of course). Placing the carrier in the middle of the back seat will be the best protection from collisions and the sun. You'll also be able to glance in (when you're at a stop, of course) from time to time.

Definitely keep the carrier off the floor. Initially, the floor seems like it might be the best place: heat rises, carrier can be wedged in nice and snug, it's down low so the sun won't be as much of an issue... all that. But it doesn't work. The amount of heat coming off the road can and will kill.

I use thermometers with probes that I can put inside the carrier with my hedgies to ensure they're at a good temperature. I don't know if a chin would try and chew the probe or the coated wire... I'll leave that to someone with greater chin knowledge than my own. Ensure you're A/C is working well before you begin.

I'd keep chin-safe cleaning supplies and plastic bags near the carrier to mop up any bathroom messies. With luck, she'll sleep, so it won't be a concern. But you don't want to find yourself with a pee-filled carrier and only your t-shirt to clean it up.

When you pack your car, do your best to keep her supplies on top. I'm assuming, with that distance, you'll be stopping and setting up things for the night at least once. You'll want to get her all settled first, then worry about where you put that pair of shorts and your toothbrush later... especially if she's had any difficulties along the way.

Given two international border crossings, make sure you've checked with authorities at both entry points to ensure you have whatever paperwork needed on hand. It could be that they require a letter from your vet within the last 30 days... you'll want to get that settled before setting out. I remember with the hedgie train into Canada, they were okay with a Niagara Falls crossing, but not so good with Detroit/Winsor nor Port Huron/Sarnia. They had a vet on duty at NF; not the other places. Hopefully, they aren't as picky when were talking about one chinchilla instead of ten hedgehogs! But check it out in advance, eh?

All the Canadian Customs things say that chins don't need a health certificate. But I'm really worried about potting. She has a fleece liner in her carrier, but she won't urinate on anything other than wooden bedding. Should I secure a little tray of it in there ? Or do you think that would work ? And good thinking ! Didn't think about the floor heat, thank you !

All I put in a cat carrier for long trips is a) a fleece liner; b)some hay; c) a chew toy and d) keep the temp chinny appropriate and keep them out of the sun. I don't put a waterbottle on the carrier I have because in my experience, they don't use it and it just leaks and I don't want my chins to get wet. I used to put a small slice of apple with them for moisture, but they don't usually care for that either. For long trips (all day which is probably your case), I attach the water bottle when I stop for lunch, and when I stop for the night. My chins also do really well in the car.

I would offer her the potty dish when you stop and give her water. The farthest I've ever taken my chins was a 5 hour drive and they didn't urinate at all during the trip. Sounds like quite a trip you're taking, stay safe and have fun!

Back