Lonely chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheena lee

So, right now, I have one chinchilla, Chester, who I've had for a little over a month.
When I got him I knew I would be out of the house at least 25 hours a week with classes. The week after I got Chester, I was hired for a design position at my school, which is 12hrs a week.
So now, I'm away for 37-ish (a bit more with travel) and then I have homework to do. The cage we keep Chester in is in our bedroom, and both me and my boyfriend are in school and working, we spend a lot of time in our home office. I don't want to bring Chester into the office because I can't control the temperature/atmosphere in there as easily as I can in my bedroom...

But that leaves Chester alone most of the day. We give him any time we have and leave the TV on some days for him, but I still feel bad that he's all alone most of the time.

So I'm wondering, with my schedule, should I consider getting a second chin to keep him company?
I have a pretty big cage that could easily fit 2 chinchillas, and I plan on having my dad build an even bigger one when I graduate and move, so space isn't a problem... I'm just worried about doing the introduction and dealing with all that...

Thoughts?

A second chin is a possibility.... but so is a second cage, and a second set of everything. If you did get a second chin, you'd want to quarantine it for 30 days, away from your current chin, and then start introductions. With any two chins, there's never a guarantee that they'll get along... so while you may intend getting a second chin as to keep Chester company, they may never get along, and then you'd be stuck with two chins in two separate cages. More dishes to fill, more cages to clean. Or, everything could work out fine and they could get along no problem - but the thing is, there's no way to know, ahead of time.

At the rescue, we've had some luck with intro's, some not. Some chins take to others like flies to honey, others are ready to attack any chin that comes within feet of them. It just depends on the chin... how yours (or a new chin) will react to being caged together (after proper intros of course), is all up in the air. You just never know.

Thanks for the info Greychins!
That's what I was worried about, the possibility that they wouldn't get along and I'd be stuck with 2 chin setups. The cage I bought was $150, and I definitely can't afford to get another big one like that
(and for the first while I thought I could keep the new chin in a smaller cage, possibly used, etc) but if they in fact don't get along, then I'd definitely have to get an equally large cage, which I don't have space for..

Is it really that bad for a chinchilla to be on his own most of the day?
We're in the bedroom every night, and sometimes I take my laptop into the room and do work there when/if I can. We also sometimes watch TV before bed, which he seems to really enjoy (we say "Chester! TV!" to him and he gets into watching position lol.)

I'm just worried that he'll be too lonely and sad. The more time goes on, for the next 6 months anyway, the busier I'm going to be...

I have limited chin experience but I can tell you that my single chin thrives on his own. I work 40+ hours a week and although we do spend a lot of evening and weekend time together, he is very happy on his own.

If I am really busy I will spend extra time with him at playtime or in the same room watching TV etc. I talk to him constantly and although he knows not what I'm saying, he seems to enjoy the interaction.

Greychins brings up many good points regarding new chins not getting along, etc. Just something to think about. I know I would not have the finances to purchase two of everything (vet care, cage, etc.) so for now, I am happy (and so is he) with being a single chin mom. :)

Oh good, that's good to know!

I kept going back and forth with it - I want Chester to be happy, but I also wouldn't really be able to afford a second cage and more food, wood chips and toys (I go a little crazy with toys already now that I have a job.. pay day = new toy day.)

When he turns six months old, I'm going to get him a play pen (this one -- good or bad?), and I think at that point I'll put him in the office so he can be with us and we can keep an eye on him, or i'll bring my laptop into it with him and do some work if I have to.

Right now I feel bad for him, since he's officially only 5 months tomorrow and he wants out SO BAD and goes so crazy we can barely open the cage door anymore... I give it 2 more weeks and he'll be trying to jump off my shoulders onto the floor.

My husband and I have had Trixie, a solo chin, for 6 years..most of her life. We both work full time, but we are gone during her sleep time. We keep her in the living room with us...best room for controlling temperature. She seems just fine.
Best thing you and your boyfriend can do is to socialize with yours as often as posible when you are home...even something as simple as sitting with her when you are reading, or doing homework.
Trixie loves watching television with us, and will sit for hours looking at it. If the expense of getting a second set up would be an issue, then I think your new furkid will be just fine. She will be a pleasure for you, I am sure.

We try to socialize as often as possible, but with us both in school and working, it's not easy. I'm a graphic design student, so much of my homework is done on a computer and it's not always easy to do that kind of work on a bed with a 15" screen... and my bf is a computer programmer, so he has the same problem.

But I try to hang out there at night even if I'm not sitting by the cage with the door open... I make googly faces at him and he stares at me like I'm crazy.

I really want to bring him into the office where we are 75% of our time at home, but there's a few things...
1) it gets pretty hot with 2 computers, even without heating in -15C weather
2) it's not air conditioned in the summer - our bedroom is
3) my mother-in-law who lives with us smokes and leaves the office door open during the day when we're not here
4) said MIL uses a LOT of febreeze, which I hate and refuse to have in our bedroom

I guess as long as he can still be happy alone most of the time -- we're gone most of the daytime anyway -- then it's all good! :)

I came into your issue, especially when I began working 2 jobs, 1 Ft and 1 PT. I had other family members in the house and Tum Tum never seemed to lonely because I try to give him attention.

However, I began to feel he needed a companion. After months of research, the big gamble was seeing if introduction of another chin would actually work. I have been told by others that I know who have chins have good and bad.

Since I wanted TUm Tum to have a friend because he seemed to enjoy it more even though we had a cuddle buddy, I decided on a new chin, BAm Bam. Once we got him, we kept the cage away from each other for about a month. After 2 months, I kept the cage near each other. Everyone has different methods. But it comes down to you understanding 1 thing. Some chins may never get along. mine were good. But you have to see if you plan to try it and its not successful, then a separate living environment is definitely necessary.

But Tum T um was fine being alone. hehe but he loved having a buddy! =D Good luck!!

my Rhino was perfectly fine in the bedroom by himself from the day he came home until Guss came home just over a month ago. i would be out of the house all day, and Rhino fared just fine.

Thanks for all the info guys! For now I'm going to stick to just one chinchilla - I think it's all I can really handle anyway! When I have more space/money I might consider it, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Should you ever deside to get a second chin keep this in mind. I had a similar issue with my boy. So i desided to get him a play mate as well. They actuly hit it off quite well. Got along great. So great in fact they have three kids now lol.

My first chin, Chipper, was a single chin and loved it. My second (and current) chin is single and I'm told he doesn't share well so should remain so. But he's very vocal and sounds lonely. I give him as much attention as my husband can stand without feeling neglected himself, second child that he is. LOL

Point is, your chin sounds very bonded to you and happy as a single. So I'm glad you sound like you'll leave it that way.

My reason for posting is this: You asked about a playpen you found on eBay and listed a link in this thread. I have one and I love it. I wish I could have gotten a bigger one but I couldn't afford more than the one that has 36" high sides (I think there's one size up from that one). It's big enough for three people to sit cross-legged in. Plenty of room for one chin, one human, a cloth play tube, a bulk sized cereal box and a hidey-house. I set it up on our queen-sized bed, put a single layer of fleece down in it, set in the toys and go get my chin. I could sit inside with him for hours and watch him dart back and forth. He has a great time in there. And I love that it has an enclosed bottom and top. The zippers are strong and the pen is well made.

The pen is also fabric and the zippers are plastic. I've seen a few posts warning that chins can chew through fabric pens and they should not be trusted to keep the chin safe if left alone for any length of time. My pen has been with me for both my chins and my current chin is voted most likely to chew it. He hasn't suceeded in making a mark on it yet, but I won't be leaving him in it alone any time soon and leaving the room. I like them both (pen and chin) too much to do that. ;)

So, yes on the pen. It's a good one. Just don't forget it's a pen and not a cage.

You're little guy will be fine by himself. I would just make sure he has plenty of things to keep him occupied. The radio or TV on low for a portion of the day helps. If you have things for him to do in the cage, he should be a happy camper. A wheel is always nice (if he is old enough), chew toys, and fleece accessories make for a very content solo chinnie.

When I got meimei I thought I'd be less lonely (^_−)−☆
Then I realise I don't have that much time at home
And sometimes after work you really don't want to clean up after anything

But now I spend every night tv + laptop on couch next to his cage
Talking non sence to him =D
And ever so slowly clean up after him every night
He doesn't get free run all the time but he's got a FN cage all to himself

Jonesy is only alone when we're sleeping--between 4 am and 11 am-ish, and for an hour or two between when i leave for work and my husband gets home. she's the same way--i decided since at least one of us is in the room with her more than half the day and night, she is lonely for another chin...so little sister is coming home from NWI Chins in the next month or so. i did decide someone younger than Jones would be best, since she has a bit of a pushy side to her. still, both are under 6 months, and we have pretty high hopes that they will hit it off.
and i swore i would only get one...i just can't stand Jones staring after me every time i leave the room and finding her in the same spot waiting when i come back.
i have a feeling that the only hard part of this is going to be how much i end up envying their bond!

Latest posts

Back