Loki is ill

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

He started out with soft droppings then the occasional diarrhea like spots then some green mucus. Now he's no longer having any normal droppings. Throughout his cage I find no lumps just little spots and smears. He's either not running in his wheel or not pooping when he does because it's mostly quit getting dirty. I think he's still eating but he likes to scatter his food across the cage to get the fancier stuff and leave the cheaper stuff behind so it's hard to tell how much he eats and how much he throws out. When he pooped diarrhea and green stuff on the bed his bottom looked very red and hit last few quills are dirty. vet appointment tomorrow. They will probably have to sedate him since he's not that friendly with strangers.

I have a few thoughts in mind:

Do your best to quarantine him from the others. Take care of everyone else first, then him. When you're done taking care of him, toss your shirt in the wash and wash your hands/arms well. Remind me how many hedgies you have and where are they in relation to one another?

Make sure he stays hydrated. Oral syringe if need be.

Gather up a sample his poop/diarrhea in a clean container to bring into the vet.

Take care of his bottom by letting him soak in warm water. Pat dry VERY gently. Apply a thin coat of Vaseline to protect his skin from more problems.

If there's any way you can get him in today... or even bring in the poop sample for analysis without bring him in... Please do so!

We have cinni with the babies about to be separated on one end of the room tucked in the far edge of a closet, Sunoo in the opposite corner, and Loki in the middle on the opposite wall from Sunoo.

He's been drinking lots of water but not eating much food so it was hard to get a fecal sample. It was just drops of liquid and mucous. Finally last minute when we were taking him out of the pouch at the vet's there was a little green ball of poop.

We sedated him and he checked out healthy aside from a dirty bottom and first few quills with dried poop stuck to them. His skin and quills look good, his temp is normal, his teeth and mouth are good, she palpated his belly and found nothing, checked his heart rate.... Nothing out of the ordinary except the diarrhea.

so we have parasite medication and an antibiotic to give him unless the stool sample narrows it down.

Poor little fella. That's a lot of meds (an antibiotic and parasite med) for one little boy. that can be hard on a hedgie belly. Did the vet give you any probiotics to help him out with that?

The vet should be able to look at his poops through the microscope and get you results on the parasite situation quickly. Bacterial or viral may take some time to figure out if they're doing a culture & sensitivity test.

Glad to hear he's not terribly close to the others! You'll need to keep up a ultra-good hedgie hygiene & cleaning regimen until after he's through this. How are the others hedgies faring?

The others have no symptoms but then it took Loki 3 months to show symptoms besides slightly soft poop which was mostly smashed in his wheel so rarely seen.

How do you medicate a hedgehog? I'm used to animals with gaps in their teeth so you just slide it in. I managed to grab his mouth and not liking that he threw his head back and opened his mouth so I squirted it in. I'm not sure this is going to work twice a day 2 meds for 5 days. He's gonna get wise to us.

You'll need to use multiple techniques to medicate a hedgehog. They are smart, will figure out what you are doing and will put a stop to it. So then it's on to the next set of tricks. Here are several things I (and others) have done. Keep with one until it stops, then move on to something else.

In no particular order:

Straight up medication - hold Loki in one hand, have the syringe ready in the other. Have him a bit balled up and facing you. Slide the syringe into the corner of his mouth. He'll likely fuss, so you'll need to approach several times. He may let you in on his own. Or may just get huffy and bite the end of the syringe. Both are your opportunity. You may get the whole dose in. You may not. It was extremely rare that I ever got the full dose in during one squirt. So you repeat the corner of mouth thing a few times.

A variation: instead of just meds in the syringe, make a "sandwich" of sorts with something he likes that passes easily through the syringe (test it out first). Babyfood turkey or chicken works well... doesn't clump like wet cat food. Pull up the babyfood first, then the meds, then back to the babyfood.

Forget the oral syrine entirely and mix some into an intensely flavored wet cat food. I've found the Blue Wilderness seems to work the best for this application. You only want a small amount, because you'll need Loki to eat the whole thing.

Get some syringes (with needle) from your vet. Use them to draw up the meds and inject mealies/waxworms (ie, whichever he prefers).

Go to a compounding pharmacy and have them mix his meds with roast chicken/turkey flavor. Or see if they'll give you a little bit of the flavor on its own. Touch the end of the syringe to the flavoring (do not use much at all, it is very strong). He'll be too busy licking and sucking on the oral syringe to notice you're pushing meds through. You might also try this with the fluid that comes from normal "human" tuna in a can that you might eat for lunch.

Meanwhile, give him some plain (non-medicated) food by syringe so that syringe is not 100% associated with nasty stuff. Also, sprinkle some acidophilus on his kibble to put good bacteria back in his body. He needs good bacteria in his gut to be able to digest food properly. Antibiotics have a tendency to kill the good stuff along with the bad stuff. So add some good stuff back in. With luck, he'll eat his kibble at a time other than directly after receiving the meds that will just kill it back off.

Whatever you do, patience is the key. He will eventually give you an opportunity to get in. You just have to remain calm, cool, and collected while he puts up a fuss.

We happened to be given some cans of wilderness cat food. It might not only help with meds but help get more food down him. He's pooping green right now from lots of bile and little food.

Well Loki started eating more and pooping more within a couple days. It took 3 days though before we could get him to eat wet cat food. He missed a dose here and there because we just couldn't get him to unball for it and he wasn't eating much of anything to mix it with.

Poor fella. He must be feeling just awful... not wanting to unball.

Definitely glad to hear that he's eating more again!

How are the others holding up?

We noticed lots of diarhea smeared around from the babies after weaning them. Checking Cinni's cage there is some green mucus so they are all going in tomorrow. At least we know what treatment works because Loki has been inhaling food and is back to running in his wheel. I did notice last tuesday the babies were grumpy because we took them somewhere and they weren't their usual friendly selves. 2 turned in to sea urchins as we call them and 2 hid their heads under the fleece and huffed at anyone who tried to pick them up. Normally we have them tame enough most are eager to be picked up and run off the table in to your hands. Only the cinnamon would do that for awhile last tuesday and then went to hiding it's head.

Nutterbutter. Sounds like whatever it is that caused Loki's problem isn't contained to Loki. I'm wondering if, perhaps, you'll need to treat the whole "herd" and doing some super-duper high level environmental sanitizing so it isn't being passed back and forth.

My husband has some industrial cleaner he uses to strip paint off his models which when diluted can be used for household cleaning. Non toxic, not corrosive, etc.... We used it on cinni's cage after moving the babies out because it was a mess. I'm going to build a bigger cage before I breed her again because they ran out of space at 4-5weeks in 4 sq ft. I'm planning 2, 6 sq ft cages.

I'm wondering about sunoo. Loki was put in with her right before he showed symptoms and removed within the week but she could be pregnant. I don't know if I should wait to take her in until she shows symptoms in the hopes she didn't get whatever bacteria it is or find something to treat her now? It's taking 2-3 months to show in the adults.

Ugh I have to medicate 6 hedgehogs with one med twice a day and we are waiting till sunoo gives birth or doesn't look like she's going to give birth and then starting her meds.

Oh boy! You're in for quite the treat -- meanwhile needing to worry about cross-contamination from an untreated Sunoo. I hope they don't all put up a world-class struggle.

Sending positive vibes to your herd. I hope their tummies all feel better soon.

We tried some wet last night and everyone ate at least a little so we are giving all but 2 babies laced cat food. We are taking their dry away so they have no choice. We'll see if it works or if we have to go back to dry food and hand dosing.

We medicated the 2 that are caged together and it didn't go so well. The salt and pepper decided to anoint with the panacur rather than swallow it. The albino balled up and I had to peel it apart until I could see it's mouth. I'm not sure exactly how much panacur went down cause that was kind of up the side of his mouth. I had a good shot with the smz but pushed the plunger faster than he could swallow because I was about to lose hold of his head quills.

So far one has cleaned up his cat food and the others are still sleeping.

Ugh... I know how difficult it can be with one hedgie sometimes taking ~20 minutes. Multiply that times 6, twice a day and you have yourself a part-time job.

Do what you can to take it nice and slow and easy. These little ones are depending on you!

Back