Lockens?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minccino

Chin-sational
Does anyone have one? :))

I just found out about this mutation a couple weeks ago. At first I thought it must be fake, and looked into it further. I find them very fascinating!
If anyone has any more interesting articles or photos to share, please do.

The ebony-related curly mutation is a relatively new chinchilla mutation. In December of 2007, Chinchillas.com, Jim Ritterspach of Ohio, and Tamara Tucker of Texas collectively imported a small group of curly chinchillas into the United States from Germany. Two of the original curlys stayed in Ohio to join the Ritterspach herd, and three went to Texas to join the Tucker herd. Both breeders initially outcrossed the curlys to expand the relatively small gene pool.

Early work with the curly mutation has shown that curls in the phenotype can occur in the first generation, as a result of breeding a non-curly to a curly. Additonally, breeding curly to curly can result in even curlier fur in subsequent generations. This particular curly gene has also proven to be ebony-linked. A chinchilla must express ebony in phenotype in order to also express actual curls in the phenotype. The curly fur can appear in the phenotype of ebony hybrids as well, including tans, and ebony and white mosaics. Theoretically, a wrap-around violet curly could exist, as could a solid sapphire curly, or a tan and white mosaic curly, although the latter have not yet been produced in US herds. Ms. Tucker has also begun work with an Angora/curly hybrid, and the results should prove to be exciting among hobbyist and show breeders worldwide.

During a worldwide chinchilla naming contest held from October-December 2010, the curly chinchilla was named 'Locken,' a name selected in part for its compatability with the German name for the same mutation. Beginning this same year, a small number of Locken (or curly) chinchillas will offered for sale on Chinchillas.com. Contact [email protected] for more information about the Locken chinchillas.
Link to Source

Here are some photos I found in my searching.
Website_too_Cleopatra_verycurlyadultFeb2014-444x307.jpg

locken.jpg
hetero250204ca.jpg

I don't have one personally but the breeder I got Eli from in Orlando breeds them! Such an interesting coat! :D

Curly chinchillas! I've never even heard of them! Their very cute, though I'm not sure if I'd want one as I like my chin's lovely velvety plush fur, which these might not have. Most curly coated animals don't feel the same as their standard coated versions do.

Pretty cool, huh? :)) I prefer the look of the regular coats also!
The Royal Angoras are really pretty too though. :heart: :heart:

:rofl: Ticklechin, they really do!!

I had no idea about Royal Angoras so I googled them. How cute are they?! I didn't even know you could get long haired chinchillas! I'd love to see and hold one, normal chins are plushy enough so I can't imagine how cuddly super fluffy ones are:heart4::heart4:. What a price though! Way out of my league even if they were available here. Just as well really that I can't be tempted, Astrid throws a hissy fit if I take notice of my hamster, she'd have apoplexy if I bought another chin:D.

Haha! I think lockens are adorable! They remind me of little lambs <3

Way to expensive for me to ever buy one though lol

Latest posts

Back