Little devil behaviour

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxYukai

Hi! I've had my chin, Patch, for a while now. For about a month. He seems pretty settled in- But he's just a pain in the butt sometimes C:

Whenever I come to the cage, he's assuming he's going to be let out. So if I try taking something out or putting something inside of the cage, he'll jump right over my shoulder!

He's not very interested in being scratched or anything, but he won't run away from it. He just loves to run around, he hasn't really climbed on much besides things in his cage.

I have a play pen for him, (we're getting around chin-proofing his playroom) and he loves to try to escape. He has, a lot. He seems to like getting on my nerves, or rather he's playing a game with me?

Are there any ways I can get him to stop trying to jump over me when I'm in his cage? Or get him a bit more interested in me?

Haha, he sounds like my boy when I got him. He wanted out all the time, and whenever he was playing in the bathroom he tried to demolish everything he could wrap his mouth around. It was ridiculous! Walls, baseboard, toilet connector, cabinets, even grout! I would pull him gently away from his target and say "no". If he didn't listen and became a little pain in the butt, I would just put him back in his cage. I really did feel like he was playing a game with me, or that he knew I didn't want him doing it and just decided to be a bad baby. "Ha ha, mom, you can't stop me!!" I don't know if he's naturally mellowed some, or if he's learned being bad equals playtime over.

All I can say about him being interested in you is, it really does take time. It took me probably 6 months of ownership before he would sit on me and let me snuggle him even for a few minutes. Some chins never want that, though. He may be young and feeling rambunctious, and not much you can do about that but wait, and put effort into bonding with him. Talk to him so he knows your voice. Let him smell you often.

I'm no chin expert (I've had my guy for a year) but I hope I helped you a little. :)

Last edited:
Haha, he sounds like my boy when I got him. He wanted out all the time, and whenever he was playing in the bathroom he tried to demolish everything he could wrap his mouth around. It was ridiculous! Walls, baseboard, toilet connector, cabinets, even grout! I would pull him gently away from his target and say "no". If he didn't listen and became a little pain in the butt, I would just put him back in his cage. I really did feel like he was playing a game with me, or that he knew I didn't want him doing it and just decided to be a bad baby. "Ha ha, mom, you can't stop me!!" I don't know if he's naturally mellowed some, or if he's learned being bad equals playtime over.

All I can say about him being interested in you is, it really does take time. It took me probably 6 months of ownership before he would sit on me and let me snuggle him even for a few minutes. Some chins never want that, though. He may be young and feeling rambunctious, and not much you can do about that but wait, and put effort into bonding with him. Talk to him so he knows your voice. Let him smell you often.

I'm no chin expert (I've had my guy for a year) but I hope I helped you a little. :)
Aw! C: He sounds adorable!
He knows my voice already, he responds to it well whenever I talk to him.
But they really are rambunctious! Little children they are.

Thanks for your help! He won't get away with escaping next time, haha!

My Tribble is the same way too! He is so bad! :p He just loves coming out for playtime. He hops all over me and gets into anything. We have made our living room chin proof, because if there is something he can get into, he lets us know! When he gets back in the cage, he will do anything to get out again. Sometimes he chews on the cage bars. I'm not sure how to stop this behavior. Although, in the morning, when I refill his food and water, I will often give him a stick/twig and he runs off with it. This allows me to get his food in order without him trying to get out.

Do you have a top for the playpen? Which type do you have? I know petsmart sells playpens and tops. You can probably find them online too. Some members sell them occasionally.

Yes, chinproofing your room is a good idea!! They get to run around and have fun without you worrying about them escaping, getting into things, etc.

Oh and being interested in you: Just give it time and try sitting on the floor with him during playtime. Once you get your room chinproofed, you can do this easier. He might come and investigate/climb on you then.

Last edited:
I've had my chins for about 2 months and the one just started coming around recently. The other still wants nothing to do with me unless I have a stick or treat! I think patience is key with them :)

As for the devil behaviour...my one is the same way. She will do ANYTHING to get out of the area I block off for her play area - and succeeds 60% of the times that she tries (I just can't stop her from jumping over every time!). She makes me think that she's being cute and cuddly by hanging out on me...until she takes a flying leap over the gate. *shakes head*
It's a game I don't like to play, especially when she goes and hides under my bed for 20 minutes...

I've had my chins for about 2 months and the one just started coming around recently. The other still wants nothing to do with me unless I have a stick or treat! I think patience is key with them :)

As for the devil behaviour...my one is the same way. She will do ANYTHING to get out of the area I block off for her play area - and succeeds 60% of the times that she tries (I just can't stop her from jumping over every time!). She makes me think that she's being cute and cuddly by hanging out on me...until she takes a flying leap over the gate. *shakes head*
It's a game I don't like to play, especially when she goes and hides under my bed for 20 minutes...

Ah! That's my problem! He'll hide under my bed and I have to lure him out with his dustbath. I'm just afraid of him chewing any wires behind my bed, so I'm going to block off my bed and anything he can get under. It's much easier that way!
And hah, cute and cuddly is what you think they are till they get you in trouble!

Latest posts

Back