Litterbox issues?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpiggy1989

'No they're not bunnies'
All of my chins have ALWAYS had no problem using their litter pans. Several months ago I added a cage mate in with one of my current chins. Now neither of them will use the litter pan! Bentley had no problem before, but it seems like Sammy has taught him its okay to go where ever he pleases.

It wasn't too bad of a problem before, but now I've switched to tile floors, and I'm finding more urine on MY floor than on theirs! I have puddles on my floor every night! They back up to the far corner and urinate on the outside of the cage. I have tried putting the litter pan in the corner they use, and they simply just move to a new one.

The only time I ever see them using the litter pan, is when Bentley taking a nap in it. He had no problem using the pan before, but now he refuses. What can I do to somehow 'remind' him that hes supposed to using it for peeing and not napping?

Maybe you could try changing the type of bedding you have in your pans. Perhaps the new chin is used to a different litter product.

I recently switched from bedding on the whole floor of the cage to litter pans.

Both of my boys got the concept right away! They only peed in their pans. I was so proud.

However, then I switched from Carefresh to aspen shavings because the latter is cheaper. I'd also read that some chins chow down their Carefresh which can lead to blockage. :(

So, Hugo totally got that the wood shavings were his new litter and kept peeing in his pan. HOWEVER, Barnaby just liked to dig in the shavings. He did not pee in them. He started to pee all over his shelves instead. Silly chinchilla.

So I swtiched him back to Carefresh and he is peeing like a civilized chin again.

Lu :)

When I first taught my chin to use a litter pan, I put the pan in her favorite pee corner, and blocked all other corners with toys, hidey house, etc. That way she had no other area to back up to to pee except for the litter pan area. It worked for me. Good luck!

I need a way to fix this too! they just move toys out of their way. THeir new favorite spot to pee, is in their food area whenever hay drops. Ive had to put plexi-glass to protect the wood shelves so they dont stink. ugh... if only they would use the littler every time..
I would try the pine shavings instead of aspen though if I were you. : )
Maybe try that and see if it helps, i have heard some horror stories with carefresh...

Latest posts

Back