Litter Training

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeleyAnne

Buddha & Moose (:
I'm sorry if this has already been talked about. I just switched over to fleece liners this week when we got him a new cage, and I am using a glass pan with shavings in it as a litter pan. Instead of putting new shavings in it, I put his used shavings from his other cage so that hopefully he would recognize the smell of his urine and realize that he is suppsed to pee there. It's been working pretty well, but there have been little TINY spots of pee on the liners. Maybe his feet were wet with it, and tracked it around the fleece? I'm not sure, but I was wondering if there is anything else I should be doing to potty tain him? Is there anything I can do to encourage him to pee there besides the used litter?

I'm wondering about the exact same thing!
Maybe a puppy pad or two could be put on those 'spots' if all else fails? Be sure to get the small kind though, so you can use more of them if needed without covering up the majority of the cage!
Another idea, just something that I came up with, is to use the puppy pads instead of the fleece liner, until he uses the litter pan completely - it would save the fleece quite a bit until all is done! :)

I wouldn't recommend puppy pads as they will chew and eat them which isn't healthy for them, especially if they contain "absorbency" stuff inside.

Chins like to pee on rocks in the wild. When I litter trained mine I used a clean rock in the corner of the pan with the used shavings (not too many). They took to it after a few tries.

When they are mad at me for whatever reason, they'll still pee in random places. Even the best of the litter-trained chins will have occasional issues.

I wouldn't recommend puppy pads as they will chew and eat them which isn't healthy for them, especially if they contain "absorbency" stuff inside.

Chins like to pee on rocks in the wild. When I litter trained mine I used a clean rock in the corner of the pan with the used shavings (not too many). They took to it after a few tries.

When they are mad at me for whatever reason, they'll still pee in random places. Even the best of the litter-trained chins will have occasional issues.

Oh dear! I didn't quite think of that... -slapsforehead- Sorry, blonde moment there, LOL.
But I do have to say, that rock idea is absolutely superb! I applaud you for putting it out there - I'll have to try it out! :)

It's a great "trick"! And it worked so well for both of my boys. Even the one who liked to pee on anything and everything!!! And eventually, I took the rocks out and haven't had to use them since.

I would have never thought of that! How big of a rock should I use? Does it matter much?

Not too big. I only used one or two smaller rocks per pan. I'd say about 2-3 inches-ish in diameter. That way they can stand on it or hover around it just to pee on it. Then it also leaves some room in the litter pan if they're not fans of the rocks. But I'd give the rocks a few days because they might need some time to really take to it. Litter training can be tough, so patience is key! I also try to keep an eye out and give a treat and/or scratch on the chin whenever they use it. Mine are used to hearing "good boy!" in a calm, smiley voice... even now that they're fully potty trained, I still do it as encouragement! :)

That's awesome!! I hope to get to that point someday. It's been so strange with Buddha, because he used to NEVER EVER pee outside of his cage, and lately he has peed twice while out for play time. It's never a lot of pee, but this used to never happen!

Sometime they mark their territory. I have two separated boys, but I used the same playroom... so if they are in a "mood" that day, sometimes they will mark their territory on my carpet. (grr!) Then the second one gets his playtime, smells it and marks his territory too. However, I now have a litter pan in their playroom as well and for the most part, they both will use it.

Haha yeah he's my first chin, so it's interesting to see him grow up. He definitely does different things now that he is a "teenager" I guess. Weird though, that he would try to mark his territory because he is the only chin! haha

I think even by themselves as they grow up and testosterone kicks in all kinds of crazy things happen. Cotton went a little nuts when he hit that age and it actually forced me to separate him from his brother because he was constantly fighting with him. Splinter on the other hand never had those signs, always sweet and snuggly.

I put rocks in his litter pan last night like you suggested, and he seemed to just want to dig at them. I had them in a neat little pile in the corner of the pan, and by morning, they were scattered around the pan. I'll have to watch him more closely today and see if he actually pees on them, or just plays with them. haha :)

Haha. That's funny. Mine never played with them. It might help to rub some of the used litter on the rocks too so they get a better idea that it's not a toy and it's okay to pee on. ?!?! Never ceases to amaze me how different each and every one is!

i read that someone is using fleece liner.....what is it? sorry im new 5 months in training, right now i have the metal grate at the bottom with carefresh under it

You don't want to us ea metal grate as that can hurt their feet (or toes could get stuck and they could break)... the best thing is some sort of metal or glass pan in the corner (they like to pee in corners)... then you can put the bedding/litter in there. Only use Carefresh if it's Aspen shavings, etc... don't use the paper/newspaper kind as it can be very hard on their system when they eat it.

Fleece liners are good for the cage bottom (you can ask around on here - some people make them and sell them or give tips on how to make your own), but it'd be tough to clean if used in a litter pan, so I wouldn't recommend it. (Plus, fleece that's been peed on can get smelly, unlike the shavings that absorb any scent.)

You don't want to us ea metal grate as that can hurt their feet (or toes could get stuck and they could break)... the best thing is some sort of metal or glass pan in the corner (they like to pee in corners)... then you can put the bedding/litter in there. Only use Carefresh if it's Aspen shavings, etc... don't use the paper/newspaper kind as it can be very hard on their system when they eat it.

Fleece liners are good for the cage bottom (you can ask around on here - some people make them and sell them or give tips on how to make your own), but it'd be tough to clean if used in a litter pan, so I wouldn't recommend it. (Plus, fleece that's been peed on can get smelly, unlike the shavings that absorb any scent.)

Sorry that this is a bit late, but I'd rather not start a new topic for all this..

Kelly, what litter do you recommend for training to use a pan?
I haven't quite started on it yet, but when I do start litter training Alfred, I want to be prepared to make it a good experience and as successful as possible! :)

HI Maddy! I'd recommend an 8 or 9 inch glass pan... That way you aren't dealing with plastic that they might eat/chew on either. The square glass pan fits nicely in the corner (and corner are their favorite places to pee) and doesn't take up too much cage space... It's easy to clean up and my boys LOVE Aspen Bedding/Litter (they can munch on the shavings... and it absorbs really well, so there is no smell). Something like this is perfect:

http://www.target.com/p/luminarc-square-pan-8/-/A-14013547#prodSlot=medium_1_12&term=glass pan

HI Maddy! I'd recommend an 8 or 9 inch glass pan... That way you aren't dealing with plastic that they might eat/chew on either. The square glass pan fits nicely in the corner (and corner are their favorite places to pee) and doesn't take up too much cage space... It's easy to clean up and my boys LOVE Aspen Bedding/Litter (they can munch on the shavings... and it absorbs really well, so there is no smell). Something like this is perfect:

http://www.target.com/p/luminarc-square-pan-8/-/A-14013547#prodSlot=medium_1_12&term=glass pan

Perfect! Thank you so incredibly much. I didn't think of using a glass pan.. I'll have to give it a try along with the bedding. Thanks again! :)

Latest posts

Back