Litter box training with fleece lining?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bovril

Ellie&Bovril <3
How would I go about litter box training my chin with a fleece liner in the cage? From what I've read, the way to go about it is to take shavings with urine on them and put them in the desired area, but how would I do that without shavings? Should I keep a small amount on hand for just the litter box?

I potty trained my chinchilla with fleece first (even though her whole cage is just about fleece anyway), by putting a fleece pillow where ever she pee'd the most. For her, she would always pee on her ledges (ugh!) so I had no trouble finding her bathroom spots. If you have any spare fleece pillows laying around, you could try it that way.

After she got used to using her "wee pad", I moved it to the spot where I wanted (ie top corner of the cage). She was very good about changing potty spots.

And again, after she got used to her new spot, I simply changed it to shavings and haven't had a problem with it since. She took very well to the shavings, which surprised me because her first potty training attempt ended with shavings all around the cage for weeks.

If your chin doesn't take to peeing in a glass baking pan right away, try leaving out the pan itself and just use the pillow. You'd preferably want to avoid doing that on the shelves for obvious reasons.

Or, of course, you can take the straight and easy path and just fill a glass pan with shavings and put it in your chins potty spot and see how that goes!

I use a small glass pan to put the litter into, you can move it to the spot where they are going. Mine still pee on the fleece sometimes but it saves a few days off the cleaning if you can get rid of most of the urine by cleaning your litter pan more often.

Back