Lining a cage with fleece

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rob7911

Hello, I was interested in perhaps eventually lining my new chinchilla cage with fleece once I got it. Is there any special type to use, also how would you suggest to attach it? And how do you maintain it (ie. wash and or vacuum)?

My cage liners are 3 layers sewn together (fleece, absorbant layer, fleece). I have 3 per pan which for me I find perfect. I don't attach it to my cage, it just lays on the bottom as is. Every day I sweep up the hay and poop in the cage using a small hand brush and pan. Some use vaccums to do the same thing. Every 2-3 days I change the liner. I wash the liners in hot water in the washer, and I find I have to wash twice to get the smell out. Hope that helps!

I just got my fleece about a week ago from an online supplier so i don't know if there is a special type to use, lol. I trust they know what to use. I have an FN and haven't had any problems attaching it. I just lay it in there and it stays in place. My chins pull up the corners every now and again, but that's no big deal. I was worried they may eat it, but they haven't this far. I just wash mine. I washed it on cold and dried it on delicate and it came out just fine. I'm looking into getting a second, possibly a third, liner so it's easier come cleaning time.

My chins love it! I love it! It's soooo much easier to clean the cage now. It's also a lot quieter. My chins and I share my bedroom and I used to hear them jumping onto the base of the cage. It was very loud and sometimes woke me up. With the fleece you can't even hear it!

Thats perfect because I also share the same room with him haha, and he can be pretty loud at night. Did you have to buy a special base pan for your FN cage, I was thinking about getting the FN 141.

My cage liners are 3 layers sewn together (fleece, absorbant layer, fleece). I have 3 per pan which for me I find perfect. I don't attach it to my cage, it just lays on the bottom as is. Every day I sweep up the hay and poop in the cage using a small hand brush and pan. Some use vaccums to do the same thing. Every 2-3 days I change the liner. I wash the liners in hot water in the washer, and I find I have to wash twice to get the smell out. Hope that helps!

What do you use for your absorbent layer?

Last edited:
The absorbent layer is flannel. I've read people using terry cloth/towels as well. I find that layer helpful to wick away moisture so the chin is no sitting on wet fleece.

Latest posts

Back