Limp/motionless...?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry for your loss especially through such a dangerous time with all the tornadoes in your area on top of that. I could only imagine how helpless you must have felt.

Know that you loved him well and treated him well.

I worry that you had rats die in the same manner. Could they have gotten something poisonous?? I would definitely have the chin necropsied so you can find out what is going on with the chin and the rats.

I appreciate your concern, but the rats that have died have all been albino Laboratory rats--the longest they live is 2 years. They were never tested on, just extras Vanderbilt had no room for. One died of a huge tumor that slowly developed (we were told it was safer for him to live with it), one had a stroke (at 2 years of age)--both of which occurred a year ago, before we got the chins--and the last was a baby that we believe had a brain tumor. All our rats were/are in the same cage across the room from the chins, solid liner and they're not big chewers. We have a pet store rat now and a Lab rat (not in relation to the former ones) both in good health.

I will not be necropsying Mr. Man, but I am going to take his sister in for a checkup. Most definitely.

Thank you again everyone for your kind words. It has been a difficult couple of days. :tissue:

Wow, I'm so sorry that all happened. And in the middle of tornadoes, on top of it all. It's especially hard when they die suddenly and you don't know why. RIP Mr. Man.

I hope this is the last of your pet tragedies for a long while. I'm sorry for your loss.

Wow, I'm so sorry that all happened. And in the middle of tornadoes, on top of it all. It's especially hard when they die suddenly and you don't know why. RIP Mr. Man.

I hope this is the last of your pet tragedies for a long while. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you, Caiti. It is harder when one doesn't know the cause----on top of that, in the last 6 months my boyfriend's parents have had two cats disappear (we have coyotes nearby, so we suspect that), and one died at the ripe age of 16.

We are tired of losing pets! :(

Again, appreciate everyone's thoughts and concern. We're doing the memorial this evening.

I'm so sorry, LTSAF.

I don't even know what I would do in a situation like that, the helplessness can be astounding. When Zara got really sick and I took her to an EV they gave her a shot of baytril and told me to wait until morning when my original vet woke up since they don't deal with them and had no clue. I know you live in an area smaller than mine, I'm sure you did what you could.

It's horrible to lose a member of your family but at the same time, I'm glad you're safe. Godspeed little man to the rainbow bridge.

I'm so sorry, LTSAF.

I don't even know what I would do in a situation like that, the helplessness can be astounding. When Zara got really sick and I took her to an EV they gave her a shot of baytril and told me to wait until morning when my original vet woke up since they don't deal with them and had no clue. I know you live in an area smaller than mine, I'm sure you did what you could.

It's horrible to lose a member of your family but at the same time, I'm glad you're safe. Godspeed little man to the rainbow bridge.

I just now saw this, :rolleyes: :hug4: The grace of that day was that when he died, we were having a short break in the storms, so it wasn't like it happened, then I had to leave him and rush to our storm shelter. I'm kind of glad he didn't have to go to it--he may have died en route--which would have been much worse. :no:

I lost my Charlie last week. I did get him to the vet, but they had to put him to sleep. Im glad you were ok during the tornado outbreak (Im in KY too).
My heart goes out to you!

I lost my Charlie last week. I did get him to the vet, but they had to put him to sleep. Im glad you were ok during the tornado outbreak (Im in KY too).
My heart goes out to you!

Gosh, I am so sorry. I was prepared to have to do that myself. I know how heartbreaking that is (w/my other pets). And gosh, I'm glad you're ok too, being in Kentucky! We haven't even hit tornado season here, and I'm just trying not to freak out.

Thank you for your words!

A little sunshine in our chin corner.

Even though this has been a difficult and just plain depressing thread, I felt it necessary to post this here.

I took Sappho--his sister--to the vet. She is healthy as a chin, at 609 grams!!!! The vet recommended going ahead with an exercise wheel now that she's over a year old. (If anybody sees a cheap one, lemme know!)

I'm so happy she's healthy. She was such a trooper to and from the vet. She barked a storm when they got her out of the cage, but once she got to hang out on the counter she was good.

:bliss:

Since this is no longer an emergency, I'm moving it out of the emergency section.

Back