Lights and Chinchilla Sleeping

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanacre0

In Plymouth around 7/8 months and Wiltshire the re
Hi,

I bought a Chinchilla the other day. He's beige and his name is Edison, or Eddie for short. He lives in my room currently but I have a Bearded Dragon in my room too and his day light is really bright. His heat lamp is pretty bright too and at night it's like I've got a lamp on or something. How will that affect Eddie's sleeping patterns?

Thanks

Beanacre0

How close is the heat lamp to the cage? You want to be careful as chinchillas can overheat if it gets too hot.

Does he have a hidey box/tunnels/fleeces that he can cuddle up in where it is dark? That should help.

Usually you have to be careful when you have two animals sharing a room because of possible diseases they can pass to each other, but I personally have no experience in this and whether bearded dragons pose any danger to chinchillas. I'm sure one of the other members will know better than me.

I would find it very hard to keep a room warm enough for a beardie but cool enough for a chin. Mine were in completely different parts of the house to ensure their comfort. I was also very spastic about anything touching any of the other pets things from the beardie because of the salmonella possibilities.

his sleeping patterns will not be affected by the lamps.
during the day, he will be asleep in his little house if he feels it's darker and he needs it. at night, he'll be awake and jumping around, doing his own thing.

we have a lamp on all night in our room- which is where we keep the chins- and we also have a fish tank light on all night as well. during the day, i open the blinds and let daylight come in. each of the chins go into their little house to sleep, occasionally waking up to eat, pee, drink water, look at what we're doing, etc.
if i ever feel like the light is too much, i use fleece to cover the sides facing the light. that's rarely though, like when we're using a UV blacklight or something strong so as to not affect their little eyes.

don't worry, he'll be fine :)
if anything, you can try getting one of those terrarium covers/scenes for your dragon, just to block off some of the light facing your chinchilla.

good luck! :)

Hey guys :)

Thanks for the replies. Eddie lives on my desk beside my wardrobe and sink, and the wardrobe is beside my bed, and Marvin, my beardie, lives at the end of my bed. They're not near each other. I've had Eddie for about a week now, and he's settled in quite well. The light doesn't bother him, and he doesn't hide inside his nest box or tunnel. The two don't meet and I don't handle Eddie and then handle Marvin. They're kept apart. He seems rather happy now. I must admit I was little paranoid about it to start with, haha :D

not the exact same question... but I've been wondering if I should leave a light on at night for my chin. I know she's active at night from how messed up her cage is in the morning but can she see ok with no lights on???

Yes, your chin can see just fine without the lights.

in the entire year since we got Jackie, she's only seen darkness once: when the electricity on our entire block went out a couple months ago. she and Chan seem to be just fine with never seeing darkness. :p

I live in Alaska where the light patterns are about as inconsistent as you can get. My Chins seem to have adapted just like the rest of us Alaskan's to the 24 hours of daylight in the summer to the almost no light in the winter and no matter what they pretty much have the same routine every day. All day long they are sacked out in the pine huts or hammocks and we don't hear a peep from them. I see them at different intervals during the day and if it weren't for the ginormous cage we have you wouldn't even know they exist. Then when we get active in the evening around 6 pm they come out of "hibernation" and are raring to go which is when we let them out for a couple hours to play. They go back in their cage when they are tired all on their own, then they eat and stay up for several hours then repeat the next day.

I have my Chin in the same room as my ball python. The ball python has a red heat lamp on him 24/7 and this doesnt seem to bother my chin at all. I've seen him sound asleep in his hammock with the sun coming in the window and at night I figure its fine because hes active anyway. The biggest thing, I just make sure my snake is securely in his tank!!

Latest posts

Back