Letting a new chin out of his/her cage.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcham93

Chinchilla Lover
Hi, back with more questions! :help2:

I know Gizmo hasn't been with me for very long, but before I consulted with everyone here I had let him out on day one... and to my surprise, it went well. He has actually adjusted quite well with my hand (almost able to pet him under the chin... not yet, but at least he will put both paws up on it), but I know there is still tons of progress to be made.

My question is two parts:

One. When you have a chin out of his/her cage how do you manage them (aka: control them a bit). The room Gizmo is in is chin proofed, but there are of course areas I prefer him stay out of (not for safety reasons, but just because). Problem is that keeping him out of these areas can involve a bit of a "chase" and the same applies sometimes when getting him back into the cage. I'm not chasing him around the room, don't get me wrong, but it takes more effort than is ideal. He seems to think it's a game, because as soon as he gets out of the spot I want him away from he will sometimes come up to me. That being said.. I don't want to scare him.

Two. My new Critter Nation has been ordered and will hopefully be here next week (yay). My existing cage is on the floor though, so getting Gizmo in and out is usually easy. With the CN cage, it is off the floor. How can I get him out? (Will he let me carry him?) The same question applies to getting him back. With his current cage he will just run in, but since this is off the floor - I imagine I will always have to pick him up.

Thanks guys.

PS- I feel so bad letting him stay in the cage. It's only been a few days, but already ever night at around 10pm he waits at the door to be let out by me. <so cute>

I have a ferret nation which I have two on the bottom one on top. The two on the bottom aren't bonded with us so there's a hidey house "step" to help them get in on their own.
Our top chinchilla is bonded with us, so we can just pick her up or call her over.
When we need to "catch" them, a fresh sandbath will lure them right to you.
If you keep the sandbath off the floor so they can't reach it, playtime will end on your terms

I have a ferret nation which I have two on the bottom one on top. The two on the bottom aren't bonded with us so there's a hidey house "step" to help them get in on their own.
Our top chinchilla is bonded with us, so we can just pick her up or call her over.
When we need to "catch" them, a fresh sandbath will lure them right to you.
If you keep the sandbath off the floor so they can't reach it, playtime will end on your terms

Thanks Jessie. The two top chins which aren't bonded - how long have you had them? How about the bonded chin?

It seems there isn't much control of them in the end though.

No, "Come here chinny." =P

I've had the top chinchilla, Daisy, for over a year. We got the other two together a few months ago, they're sisters. :)
Daisy will come on command, but she knows if its a trap or a scratch haha

Pretty much as already said, I use their wooden house as a step, or a parrot ladder with a 1x4 wired to the back that I hang on the lower door to allow them in and out of the cage. Also I would guess the critter nations are like the ferret nations in that you don't have to put the bottom wheels and shelf section on, there are people that have the cage on the floor. So that is an option if you really wanted. As for keeping them out of areas I use critter fencing It's only 2 feet high, but my boys haven't figured out they can jump over it... yet. I actually bought 2 and they link together so I can encircle pretty much the whole room if I want. A much cheaper option is to make barriers out of cardboard boxes, with the added benefit of being able to have a much higher wall. You can take several and tape them together to make a pen or long wall as well.

I've attached a photo of the fencing when I first got it, I don't have it set up the same anymore, and that's not even using all the fence, but it should give you an idea.

Attachments

• ChinsNewFencing.jpg
    ChinsNewFencing.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 50
I have a kid sized pink chair and a step stool that I put in front of my 2 cages for the boys to go in and out of their cages. They have access to their cages while they're out for playtime that way. Zoidberg is my best behaved and will go back to his cage when I tell him to go home, or whistle. Dale Earnhardt will go home for a treat and Rufus is just a jerk. Rufus usually takes two of us corralling him into his cage. We have tried luring him with the bath, a treat, sticks, everything, nothing works. Some nights he just goes home on his own and those are my favorite playtimes! We use cardboard boxes to block non-chin friendly places. We got some boxes from the grocery store for free, mostly plain brown with very little writing on them. They actually are covering the baseboards in the entire room.

Even shooing an unbonded chin frequently or chasing them to put them away can delay them being comfortable with you. Use one of the suggestions for blocking off the areas or find a new play zone. Also see if you can use the dust bath or a treat to get him into the cage. I always make going back'home' into some type of fun event to trick them into liking the end of play time too, even something like their daily fresh applewood stick or bath time.

Pretty much as already said, I use their wooden house as a step, or a parrot ladder with a 1x4 wired to the back that I hang on the lower door to allow them in and out of the cage. Also I would guess the critter nations are like the ferret nations in that you don't have to put the bottom wheels and shelf section on, there are people that have the cage on the floor. So that is an option if you really wanted. As for keeping them out of areas I use critter fencing It's only 2 feet high, but my boys haven't figured out they can jump over it... yet. I actually bought 2 and they link together so I can encircle pretty much the whole room if I want. A much cheaper option is to make barriers out of cardboard boxes, with the added benefit of being able to have a much higher wall. You can take several and tape them together to make a pen or long wall as well.

I've attached a photo of the fencing when I first got it, I don't have it set up the same anymore, and that's not even using all the fence, but it should give you an idea.
Where did you get that tall enclosure!!!??? That looks quite practical...where could I get my hands on one of these??

Back