Lethargic chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msquare

Hi all,

My female chinchilla has been lethargic for the entire day. She still runs about when we let her out. But not as curious as before. And she have not been eating much except for a little hay and drinking only a little water. (she eat anything that is not her food) Her poops are soft too. I'm now scared to death because she just lie that motionless at a corner of the bed. I'm hoping to bring her to the vet first thing in the morning tml as they are closed today.

Any advice on what to do for her today?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Does her stomach feel hard or bloaty?
If she does, u might want to get some simethicone to help her with it before taking her to the vet first thing tmr. You can also massage her tummy.

Do u have any CC on hand? If not, u can ground some pellets and hand feed her some, or force feed if need be, she still needs food down her until she's taken to the vet to be diagnosed.

I'm no expert, so pls correct me if I am wrong, I am still learning.

Does her stomach feel hard or bloaty?
If she does, u might want to get some simethicone to help her with it before taking her to the vet first thing tmr. You can also massage her tummy.

Do u have any CC on hand? If not, u can ground some pellets and hand feed her some, or force feed if need be, she still needs food down her until she's taken to the vet to be diagnosed.

I'm no expert, so pls correct me if I am wrong, I am still learning.

Thanks for the advice.
Her tummy is not hard or bloaty. its very soft now.
I've just force feed her some food and water, but the amount she is taking in is rather small.

I've just force feed her some food and water, but the amount isnt alot.
her stomach isn't hard at all. she just feel all soft and restless now.

Lethargy in a chin is serious since chins are experts at hiding their illness until it can be too late to treat. I would also suggest a vet visit asap since time is your enemy.

By "not a good sign" people on here mean that lethargy is usually quickly followed by DEATH. Your chinchilla needs to see a vet if it isn't already too late. It could be so so SO many things and none of them are diagnoseable over the net. Update when you can.

I see that you're from Singapore. Just sharing some Singapore-specific information if you need. Chin-competent vets are of the utmost importance and unfortunately they are not common here. I don't want to see anybody go down the road I have with vets that have no knowledge of chins. Here are my recommendations.

1. Animal Recovery Centre - Balestier Branch (ask for Dr. Lye)
He's a bit expensive but he has bred chins before and is very knowledgeable about them. His clinic is also extremely well-equipped with x-rays and stuff and they have 24 hour staff looking after your animals so in the case of an emergency visit I will try there first.

2. Animal Clinic - Katong branch (look for Dr Hsu)

Both vets are on duty on Monday. You're not likely to get an appointment so last minute but I would advise you to call first and do a walk-in. Both vets will see walk-ins, especially if it's an emergency.

Do you have some Critical Care? You might need to get some and ensure that your chin keeps eating. There's a couple of places selling those so you won't have any trouble getting them. Let me know if you need any more help.

Good luck!

Back