Last minute tips and suggestions...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbodgrl

Zoo Keeper
I am so excited that I will finally be bringing my first Chin home on Friday :bliss::bliss::bliss:

As some of you know I have been researching and preparing for nearly a year. I have her cage all set up and ready to go (minus food, water and hay...which I will do on Friday)

I have pretty much read this site top to bottom since I joined. Although I do shy away from health and emergencies, cause it makes me worry :eek:

Any tips or suggestions that I may have forgotten or slipped my mind. Words of encouragement and what to expect for the first week or so would be great :thumbs:

You might already know this but I'll go ahead and put it out there. :]
I'm really allergic to my chinchilla and his dust, so I have to wear a face mask most of the time I'm around him, especially when he's dusting! I also have to wear gloves while cleaning out his cage.

So those are some things you might want to invest in!

And congrats on getting your chin! I'm hoping you'll post some pictures of her soon!!

I bet you're so excited! :D I know you've been waiting for a while!

I think it sounds like you are pretty much set! I guess for what to expect, I'd say just let them chill for a while after you bring them home. Even though it'll be very difficult, it'll allow them to slowly adjust and become comfortable with their new environment. During this time, new owners usually sit by the cages and talk calmly to them, and feed them safe treats to try and win them over. Just take it slow, and wait a little while for handling. Resting your hand in the cage and allowing them to come to you is a good idea too. Before you know it, they'll be coming up to rest on your hand and jump up your arm, trying to get out to play! :D

You sound very prepared and think you'll have a lot of fun with these guys! Can't wait for updates and pics after they come home and get adjusted! :))

Thanks!

I have her cage set up in one of my rooms downstairs with a door, so I can keep the other animals) dog and cats) out so they won't bother or scare her. I know they will be interested in who/what I brought home!

I have a few things to get ready today (filtered water and put away some stuff I had stored on top of her cage) and get the AC in the window in that room. She will be home tomorrow evening and then I work the next 3 days 12 hour shifts in a row so that will keep me from having too much time to want to "bother" her too much...lol Then I am on vacation for 10 days so we will have some time to really get used to each other.

I cant't beleive she will be home tomorrow :woohoo:

Just wanted to say how much I am loving my new little girl! She has been home since Friday night around 8pm. She was already coming up to the bars of the cage that night. I think once she gets settled in she will be quite friendly.

I haven't got a chance to spend all too much time with her with my crazy overtime schedule (and I had car problems yesterday!), but I can not wait until my vacation starts on Tuesday and we get to hang out more so I can sit and talk to her.

Latest posts

Back