Large Breed Puppy Food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

So currently Fiona is on Nutro large breed puppy food. She's been itchy pretty much since I brought her home, and the vet said she either had scabies or food allergies. We treated for scabies, so I contacted the breeder and asked if any of her dogs were having/had itching problems, and she said that most Akitas have grain allergies. Fiona is on Nutro because my vet said it was the best to prevent panosteitis, but it's got a ton of wheat in it. Any brands of grain free large breed puppy food that you can think of? Thanks in advance!

Natural Balance (I think) makes a potato and duck for pups as well as adults. If not, I'm pretty sure you can use the adult for puppies. I had to switch to this for Chance because he has horrible allergies to brown rice and foods loaded with wheat.

Here's an ingredient list:
Potatoes, Duck, Potato Protein, Canola Oil (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Potato Fiber, Natural Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, L-Carnitine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin, (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

Crude Protein 21.0% minimum
Crude Fat 10.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Calcium 1.0% minimum
Phosphorus 0.9% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.5% minimum
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 0.01% minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3.0% minimum

It made a HUGE difference in Chance's skin, coat, and overall well being. This food is awesome.

Check out Petfooddirect.com. They have every food listed under the sun it seems. I would look up Evo, and a new wellness diet called Simple. Maybe try a beef diet as well. We are seeing alot of dogs being allergic to chicken/turkey as well as flour. Years ago they were allergic to the beef! Boy how times change!

Evo is a one of the best brands of dog food, but will probably be too high of a protein content for Fiona. Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Canine would be your lowest protein content, following with TotW other dog food, then Instinct Rabbit or Duck Meal. Canidae also makes a grain-free product, called Canidae Grain Free ALS.

Ironically, rotating varieties of dog food within a name brand/company will also help prevent allergies. (ie Use Instinct Rabbit until the bag is gone, then Instinct Duck Meal -- making sure to still transition over to the "new" food.)

I use the same food Peggy mentioned for my dog per his vet- every other food we tried him on, he had a reaction too.

With the Natural Balance he very seldomly itches anymore (and only itches for natural reasons, not because he's having allergy flares) and he has put on weight finally. I can tell he is much happier as well.

Latest posts

Back