Laffy update : Bladder stone

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warmice

Full-Time Chinnies Parent
Hi guys. We decided to open another thread to update about Laffy's condition.
As previously we opened a thread to ask whether is it a UTI (link : http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14619 ). Wanted to put this up so that it may become reference for those who wants to refer to it in future.

My hubby and I just came back from the vet, Laffy started dripping urine this morning. We brought him to to vet at around two hours ago. He was diagnosed with a bladder stone. It is oval in shape, diameter was around 1.3cm by 0.7.the vet was really good as she physically pressed Laffy's bladder and felt the bladder stone. She could tell us the rough size of the stone. Of course we did not totally believe on what she said and we opted ultra sound for Laffy. Indeed we saw the size of the stone.

Yup, we left Laffy at the vet She is going to put Laffy on anesthetics and remove the bladder stone tonight. Let's just hope that nothing happens to him :cry3:

We'll be back to do updates on the condition.

Updates ! We received a call from the vet. they extracted the bladder from him! Vet says he is weak atm. We shall pop by later today to the vet to check on Laffy! it is a great relieve for us :) Thanks for the concern for Laffy! We'll take a picture of the bladder stone later tonight and post it up too.¢¢

Last edited:
I am really glad that Laffy will be OK, how scary!! Hope he recovers quickly! Keep us posted :)).

Hi guys, Laffy is back with us!! he is currently under baytril, painkiller, vitamin B and Critical Care. He is doing really good here. we got the bladder stone back and its humongous!

Below are some of the pictures of his bladder stone and ultra-sound picture.

Thank God his alright now! =DD

Attachments

• IMG_9182.jpg
    IMG_9182.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9184.jpg
    IMG_9184.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9187.jpg
    IMG_9187.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 37
I would like to know when is it safe for me to give him dust-bath? hmm his fur is really untidy and cant wait for him to roll in his bath! haha

I'm glad he's doing well.

I had a chin with a bladder stone as well. It was successfully removed and sent out to the path lab to determine the composition of the stone. This may have been unnecessary, but I did it anyway. The stone was calcium carbonate (I think) and I ended up switching Magic to a timothy based pellet to hopefully prevent this from happening again. So far, so good- it has been a few years now.

I would wait on the dust bath until he is healed up a bit. Better to have him look icky for a bit than risk any infection.

Wow, that's one of the largest I've seen come out of a live chin. Glad to hear he pulled through!

I'm glad he's doing well.

I had a chin with a bladder stone as well. It was successfully removed and sent out to the path lab to determine the composition of the stone. This may have been unnecessary, but I did it anyway. The stone was calcium carbonate (I think) and I ended up switching Magic to a timothy based pellet to hopefully prevent this from happening again. So far, so good- it has been a few years now.

I would wait on the dust bath until he is healed up a bit. Better to have him look icky for a bit than risk any infection.

Dragonflye: I'll sent the stone to lab too to determine the composition of the stone. Thanks for the info. Guess he shall look icky for now. :) Do alfalfa based pellets contain high in calcium??

Spoof: Yup we got a shock too when we saw the size of the stone on ultra sound. We got an even big shock when we saw the real-size of it. Can't believe Laffy pulled it through.

Updates : Laffy is not really eating and drinking much. We are kinda of force feeding him with CC with him every 8 hourly. When should we really stop the CC? Because from what we know it contains high in calcium too.

Wow, that's hard to believe that that stone was stuck in his tiny bladder. Glad he's on his road to recovery; poor guy.

Updates : Laffy is not really eating and drinking much. We are kinda of force feeding him with CC with him every 8 hourly. When should we really stop the CC? Because from what we know it contains high in calcium too.

High calcium isn't so much the culprit as dehydration eg, not enough water.

I would also try to get him to drink to keep everything flushed.

Dragonflye: I'll sent the stone to lab too to determine the composition of the stone. Thanks for the info. Guess he shall look icky for now. :) Do alfalfa based pellets contain high in calcium??

Alfalfa is higher in calcium than timothy hay. Check with your vet about sending the stone out and see what he/she recommends. My vet basically presented it to me as an option.

I would keep up with the CC if he is not eating enough. The stones take a bit of time to form and he needs to eat to recover. A good timothy based pellet is hard to find here. I use APD (American Pet Diner) timothy pellets, I'm not sure what's available in your area.

CC is not high in calcium. I've included the calcium information from a number of feeds:

Critical Care
# Calcium (min) 0.40%
# Calcium (max) 0.60%

Oxbow Chin food:
# Calcium (min) 0.75%,
# Calcium (max) 1.25%

Bunny BasicsT (Oxbow's Timothy based rabbit pellets)
# Calcium (min) 0.35%
# Calcium (max) 0.85%

Purina Rabbit Show Pro
# Calcium (min) 0.70%
# Calcium (max) 1.20%

APD Timothy Guinea Pig / Chinchilla Pellets (I found it interesting that these are higher in calcium than PRSP and are the same as their alfalfa pellets)
# Calcium (min) 1.00%
# Calcium (max) 1.50%

APD Alfalfa Guinea Pig / Chinchilla Pellets
# Calcium (min) 1.00%
# Calcium (max) 1.50%

Tradition
Calcium (min) 1.1%
Calcium (max) 1.6%

Nutrena Rabbit Pellets
Calcium (min) 1.0%
Calcium (max) 1.5%

Mazuri
Calcium 0.9%

Charlie Chinchilla
Calcium (minimum) - 0.6%
Calcium (maximum) - 1.1%

Poor Laffy - that blader stone looks HUGE. I bet the equivalent for a human would be one as big as a cantaloupe!!!

Hope he makes a full recovery.

Last edited:
Thank you for the well wishes! And thank you guys for all that information!

Dragonflye : Alright! We'll check with our vet on the food we can feed Laffy with. At the meantime it is all CC, pellets and hay for him.

Spoof : Yup, we are force feeding him with water , hopefully he can drink by himself soon. We adding water to CC , making sure that he has enough liquid to go around his body.

menagerie : Thank you so much for finding all information for Laffy! I was looking for the it but couldn't find it. I am currently feeding Laffy with Oxbow Chin food, it seems like it is not very high in calcium.

Sorry I have a few more questions to ask. Hope you guys don't mind. :)

Updates : Laffy's wound is recovering fast, just that he isn't eating and drinking much by himself. But luckily it seems like he is enjoying CC very much!

How long will this whole process of taking CC roughly takes? Because it hurts us to see him like this.

The vet gave us 3 syringe of 0.5 ml painkillers( Meloxicam ) for Laffy is it going to do harm for Laffy should we go ahead with all the 3 syringe of painkillers? She gave us Vitamin B complex for Laffy too, have you guys had that before? the vet said that it is there to improve his diet.

Thank you so much for spending time to read all this. Thanks!

menagerie : Thank you so much for finding all information for Laffy! I was looking for the it but couldn't find it. I am currently feeding Laffy with Oxbow Chin food, it seems like it is not very high in calcium.
My boy Tucker has a bladder stone along with a whole list of other things going on which make it inoperable. I have switch Tucker and his cagemate, Tippy, to Bunny BasicsT to reduce the calcium.

Sorry I have a few more questions to ask. Hope you guys don't mind. :)

Updates : Laffy's wound is recovering fast, just that he isn't eating and drinking much by himself. But luckily it seems like he is enjoying CC very much!

How long will this whole process of taking CC roughly takes? Because it hurts us to see him like this.
It really depends on each individual chin. I've had them wanting to go back to eating their pellets anywhere from a few days to a few weeks after surgery.

The vet gave us 3 syringe of 0.5 ml painkillers( Meloxicam ) for Laffy is it going to do harm for Laffy should we go ahead with all the 3 syringe of painkillers? She gave us Vitamin B complex for Laffy too, have you guys had that before? the vet said that it is there to improve his diet.
Laffy will be fine taking all of the pain meds. It only becomes a problem if you're using them long term. I have used vitamin B12 to stimulate appetite in chins.

Thanks a million for all your responses. Laffy is taking in crushed pellets and hay. His poos are getting bigger but they are like greenish. Overall he is recovering well and once again we will update anything about him again.

Thanks! =)

Latest posts

Back