kitty question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momenteller

Hey all. Not a member of any cat forums, so hoping you guys can help me! I'm in the process of switching my 8 year-old cat's food. She's been on Iams for years, so I'm trying to move her over to something a little better and grain-free, Taste of the Wild. Her Iams was Indoor Weight Control and Hairball Care. Now that I am gradually switching, her litter box is a mess and she is getting sick here and there. Hairballs maybe? There is hair in them, but I don't know that's what it is for sure because she's never really had an issue in that area. I know there are supplements you can give for hairballs, but didn't know if I should just let it be and give her body time to adjust. Should I just give up and keep her on the Iams? Any advice would be appreciated!

I recently switched my cats to TOTW and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul. I fed them crap before and I have one cat in particular who is extremely finicky, which is why I offer two food choices. But since the switch, I have noticed my finicky eater's fur has gotten thicker and much shinier looking. She also vomits less. I know there is hairball stuff you can get for cats, I can't think of the name atm, but it comes in a tube and you squeeze about an inch rope out and the cat will actually eat it voluntarily off your finger. I used to have a long haired cat years ago and had to use this a lot to help with her hairballs. If you brush your cat, too, that might help with some of the hairballs. I did a cold switch with my cats, but ideally, a gradual switch is preferred. I would give your cat some more time to adjust, it the change has been recent.

My friend switched hers multiple times and was having issues like yours with one or two of the cats getting sick for every feed she tried. She switched to one called Blue Buffalo about a year ago and all four are doing great.

Her seven year old male was on the K/D for liver issues for four years - since switching he's not had another episode, his fur is MUCH nicer and he has way more energy and is just happier. He's getting the duck? version.
The two girls 9 & 8 are getting it, one still has occasional hairballs, but she licks everyone else.
The kitten is almost a year old and eats the dog food if she leaves it out too.

I'd definitely try the duck flavor, it's like kitty crack. I've taught Lupin to sit, beg and shake using it. He's a neat cat. :p

She also has a furminator brush for them, it does help a lot.

Back