Kitty litter

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggie:-)

I cant seem to find a good kitty litter. When i try to scoop the kind i have it all crumbles instead of 'clumping'.
Does anyone have a good brand they could tell me about?
And has anyone ever used that litter that looks like blue crystals?!
I would like to try it but i dont know what my cat will think of it?
Thanx in advance for any advice. :)

Scoop Away - hands down, best stuff ever!

The blue crystal stuff (if I'm thinking of the same stuff) won't clump. I got a bunch for free from my neighbor and just use it as "filler" to extend my clay litter, and maybe it helps with the odor a little.

Oo okay. Forget the blue stuff then. My cat is driving me nuts. He has to litter boxes at the moment. He poops in one and pees in the other. Hes nuts.
I got the second one because he was pooping in his litter box and then peeing on the basement floor right next to it. It was a horrible smell and i am pregnant and do not want to keep cleaning cat pee off my floor everyday. I know cats sometimes do this when they have a bladder infection but i got the second litter box and he pees in that one just fine so im pretty sure its just a behavioral thing.

Yeah hes strange. He also doesnt even go inside the litterbox. He put his but and back legs in there abd thats it. He keeps his head and front paws out on the floor. Its pretty funny i want to take a picture but i never have my phone when i see him doing it.

I guess i spoke too soon because starting last night he threw cat litter from his box onto the floor and then peed on it! The litter box is clean with fresh litter so i dont understand this.

Is it big enough for him? It sounds like he may not be happy with the size.
What kind of litterbox do you have for him? And how big is he?

For big cats the best box you can get is an 18 gallon rubbermaid tote. Cut a small circle in part of the lid and you have a fat cat litter box. :))

To help with the litter tracking you can glue a piece of carpet to the top.

I had a cat that hated regular litter and would avoid using the box. I decided to try the pine pellets I used for the chinchillas and added baking soda. The pee turns the pellets to dust and the baking soda keeps it from smelling. It worked great and the pellets are only $5 for a 40lb bag. Saved me a ton of money in kitty litter and I never had an issue with him peeing elsewhere after that.

Last edited:
He has 2 litter boxes. The first one had a cover but i took it off to see if that helped and it didnt. But that litterbox is somewhat tall so i got him a second larger litterbox and he seemed to like it he used it just fine. But then i put fresh litter in it and put more then normal so when i got home he had thrown it on the floor and peed on it. I havent taken down the first litterbix so he has both if them to chose from.
And yes he is fat! Hes really muscular and he looks like he swallowed a basketball lol.
I dont know why he doesnt really eat that much. He eats blue buffalo dryfood and only 1 small can of food a day. My son calls him lil fatfat lol.

The second litterbox is larger meaning longer and wider but it is much shorter*

on another note he may still smell the urine on the floor . they sell things like "natures miracle" at pet co and such. its basicaly a pet safe enzyme that gets ride of all traces of odors.it really works well. it gets pee out of clothes to.

I swear by the stuff ever since i had a cat who was overweight and had diabetes and couldnt really walk so he would get to the catbox but couldn't quite make it in.

Is he declawed? I went through ALL of this with one of our cats, and that was something that was suggested over and over again. Declawing can make them overly sensitive in their declawed paws, and some cats can't tolerate the feeling of litter on their feet. Maybe that's why he only puts his back half in? In that case, people suggested using shredded newspaper or a really fine litter - something that would be softer on his feet.

And definitely use an enzymatic cleaner for the floor. Soak the spot and DON'T wipe it up, it needs to sit on there to work. The longer it sits, the better.

This is a great kitty forum, and this is a litter box issues thread: http://www.catforum.com/forum/37-behavior/77770-things-saved-my-home-solving-urine-problems.html

Hes not declawed. I am going to check out that forum.
Thank you for the suggestions everyone :)

Back