Kits with closed eyes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feistychins

The Chinchilla Lady
I had three kits born to a rescue 1 1/2 days ago. Two still do not have their eyes open and one has only one eye open. They are active and nursing. I have never had this happen before for more than a few hours after birth. They have a very thin layer of membrane (clear) over the slit of the eye.

How long do I wait before I should start to worry and is there any way I should be assisting them to open their eyes? Will they open in time and I should let nature take it's course?

Thanks

I would wet them with a cloth and gently open them. They really need to have their eyes open.

The little boy who already had one eye open now has both open. The smallest of the litter now has her eyes open, but is keeping them closed for now. I still have one girl that the Q-tip did not work yet. Will try again in a little bit.

Did you happen to get weights on these little ones?
Sounds like almost almost premies to me - they'll thrive better with their eyes open!

I finally got the last little girls eyes open. She was a tough one. I ended up using a gauze pad and it seemed to work a little better for me.

This morning the boy is 52 grams, one female is 46 grams and the last little girl is very small at 26 grams. She is very active though. It was the girl that is 46 grams that I had such trouble with getting the eyes open.

You might pull the two larger kits for about 1/2 hr. a couple/few times a day, to let the little one 'catch-up'! Often the larger kits will push the 'runt' away from the best nipples, and attack her if she's on the one they want - and, for some reason, kits can be super viscious to a littermate! I've lost a few little ones!

I am already rotating their time with their mom. The first day everything was great, but then the boy started to beat the crap out of the runt. She is a tuff little girl. She insisted on nursing on the same side as her brother rather than going to the other side where her sister was. She would fight right back with him, but then it got to rough and I had to pull him.

Glad the eyes are all open, they have such a better chance of surviving. I hope the little one makes it.

Back