kits and their expected weights?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Pig

i was wondering if there is anything or anyone out there that knows if a chins parents can give you a guess on how big he will get.

or maybe if they are 'this weight at this month' then they will be 'this weight' full grown.

i am curious because i have heard that ebs can grow slowly and i didn't know if i could get an idea of what my male could weigh full grown.

the mom usually when not in breeding weighs just shy of 800g, tonight she is 772g and she is just over 4 yrs old.
the dad is 707g which he has gained about 100g since January and he is 1 year and 7 months old.
Nox my dark eb currently weighs 634g Nox will be 5 months this month.

thanks!
Cassie

Nope, there's no way to know for sure. I had a set of parents with the mom at 650 and the dad at 550 and they threw nothing less than 900 gm offspring. If you went by the parents weights, you would think that the offspring would be small.

Unfortunately, just like the rest of us, you'll have to wait and see. :) But it's always a fun surprise to see what they end up like as adults.

BTW, not all ebs grow slowly, but some lines do.

I agree with Peggy there is no set weight gain to have any idea how they will turn out. I have had very large kits go on to be very small adults and runts that surpass their siblings and turn out to be huge. If you knew early on it would take all the fun out of watching them grow.

Latest posts

Back