kit with head tilting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainbopyro

Hand feeding kits, got up this mrning for 630 feeding and one kit is fine but other has head tilting and kinda seisure like behavior, any advice? keeping it warm, it ate a tiny amount, but not sure what to do forit, years ago one died through the night after behavviour like this and the other kit died from depression and refusal to eat hours later,

Head tilt is hard enough to treat in an adult, in a kit it's going to be almost impossible. I'm sorry to say if this little one has head tilt and is having seizures, that it is not looking good. There is just not a lot you can do with a little teeny one. If it was just the head tilt then you could try antibiotics, but the seizures are concerning. It sounds as though there is neurological damage. Was he/she stepped on by a parent or accidentally dropped? Could he/she have fallen from a shelf?

How old is he or she? (Not a fan of calling animals it.)

He is 6 days old today, I posted in the breeding area a question too about fostering, he is doing slightly better since I gave them an 8 watt heating pad under their cage, didnt get dropped and no mom to step on him just his bully older sister who is constantly picking on him, I have been hand feeding them since day 2, their cage is only 12inches high, my other chilla mom hasnt had her babies yet and I have been cautioned from. putting them with her due to her possibly rejecting her own litter, she calls for them and was ith the mom that passed on when she had them and will clean them when I socialize them with her but I dont leave them with her. . . frustrated about my situation and very devistated I have already lost one mom and a baby dont really want to loose another :(

I have chins in colonies who have babies all at the same time and nurse everybody else's kits and their own. Right now though I doubt she has milk enough to sustain him. You could try rotating him and the other mom's kits in and out once they are born. The problem here is the girl beating up the boy. That same girl would most likely turn on any new kits your other female has.

What about dad? Most dads are awesome with their offspring and he would hopefully at least keep the little guy warm. Monitor it though. Since he's having issues, he may be rejected by any other chin.

Personally, I would separate the two that you are hand feeding now. If she is beating him up, it could turn ugly very quickly. It takes very little time for her to cause him to be injured so badly you will lose him. You should have a heating pad under their cage at all times, but only half the cage, even if you think it's warm out. If he is too warm, he will move away from the heat to the cooler part of the cage. If he isn't warm enough, he isn't going to eat well.

It's hard to give advice in a situation like this. I know what I would do and I know what works for me, but unless I say after every sentence "be careful, watch for this, be sure of that" and discuss every possible outcome, then a kit could end up getting hurt.

Back