Kit Versus Adult Coloring

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lily&Lucy

Something I was thinking about was if chinchillas' coloring evolve as they age? If so, does anyone have pictures of what their chinchilla looked like as a kit versus as an adult? Also, does it depend on the mutation? Such as, can you tell how dark an ebony will be when it's still a kit?

Beezy was born white, was white when I got him at around 6 month, started turning dark around 2 years old here

then turned white again

then turning dark

A couple of year old pic, he is 10 now and he is back to dark

Some of them tend to change a lot over time, it just depends. In terms of ebonies, you can usually get a feel for what they'll look like. If anything, they darken almost slightly to me. They can also just even out if that makes any sense.

Some change a lot and others don't change at all. It really depends on your lines and what color it is. My tans tend to darken, ebony stays about the same. Whites can vary greatly from year to year. Its part of the fun with chins.

I think the whites tend to change a lot. I saw a photo once of a chin who was born with almost her whole back black, then was almost completely white as an adult.

Latest posts

Back