Kit moving oddly, please help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amphy64

The little one has been doing Ok, but tonight she's very quiet, and although she has moved around fine and even tried to climb the cage, at times she's kind of stretching flat and then moving forward like that, sort of crawling (I don't think it's her legs as I have seen her hop and climb the cage, although mostly she's sitting in one spot and not even tying to follow her mum like she'd normally do). She's also squeaking when I pick her up, I thought it was just she didn't want to be picked up at first, she did it a few times last night as well though seemed otherwise fine, but maybe it's a sign of pain. Could it be bloat? Or something else?

Really worried about her, she'd been so bright and bouncy.

Last edited:
She's doing Ok (sorry I forgot to update sooner). I rang one of our UK breeders in the morning, who reckoned correctly I think, that it was a tummy upset and that she'd recover herself, which she did. It was possibly because she'd just started to eat a bit more solid food, but she seems to be doing all right now.

With her eyes, I did notice that her left eye had gone more closed again, and wasn't sure it looked right when I opened it to see (well, it doesn't anyway compared to a normal eye, but a bit worse than usual, I mean). The vet thought it might be conjunctivitis so she's been on eye drops for the past week, I thought it looked less red, then towards the end of the week I thought it looked a little more so again, though tbh I'm not completely sure, and her eyes are hard to get a good look at they're so small - especially as she nips pretty hard when you try! Will just have to see how it goes I think.

She's been very bouncy, at least.

DSC00583_zpsahpfhgn4.jpg

See, sometimes kits can just be "funny"...they do things that can be concerning but really there's no need. I'm so glad she's doing better for you, I was honestly dreading a response saying that she'd passed and nobody had replied back :( I know the traffic on this page is slow these days...but if you EVER need anything private message me. I get notified when someone messages me and will get on to respond. Take care!

Back