Kit chinchilla and puppy help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xduchx101

So I got a new puppy added to the family and at first he didn't pay no mind to my chinchilla, was actually scared of her. However, the chinchilla has been the instigator, always trying to touch his nose, goes on the lower level closest to him, follows the direction he goes, starts hopping around all crazy when the pup and I are playing, she even sticks her hands out and nose. Lately, the pup has been paying more attention to her and she now makes breathing gruff sounds at him if the cage is open, but yet reaches out to his face while she does it, the other day she sprayed urine at him from inside the closed cage, and from then i realized she is not playing with him she doesnt like him. Today she has decided to sleep on the lowest level with her back turned on the most closest side to him against the cage, never have I seen her do that before. Does anybody know what her problem is? Is she jelous of my dog? Moving her to another room is not an option.

Last edited:
Keep the dog away. It's that simple. If you can't seperate them in seperate rooms get an ex-pen and put it around the cage. Give it at least 1-2 ft between the cage and the ex-pen. Your dog should not be allowed to get near the cage. Chinchillas are prey animals and it is scared. Also never open the cage door with the dog out and about. Lock the dog in the bathroom or something whenever you need to open the cage.

Agreed. Dogs and cats by nature are predators; no matter how docile and sweet they may seem. And chins are prey animals. It only takes one wrong move, or one swipe of a paw to cause serious, even fatal, damage to a chin.

A lot of household that have dogs and cats get along with eachother and have slept next to eachother. Animals can be tamed to be friends, just depends on the animals and how well they take it. Not all, but some.

Yeah I've done all of that. I'm just wondering why she isn't scared, since she doesn't run away or sleep on a high level. That was my confusion.

They shouldnt be together. Just cause other people do it doesnt mean its a good idea. It only takes once to kill your chinchilla. Dogs can carry a lot of things that are deadly to your chin. Respiratory infections, parasites, fungal issues.... and many other things. Its really not a good idea to allow them together if you care about your chin

What you described is a chinchilla being afraid. Cats and dogs are both predators in nature, so comparing cats and dogs is not the same thing as comparing dogs and chinchillas. Chinchillas are curious, but don't confuse that with being friendly or trying to be friends with the dog. You asked for advice, but whether or not you take it is up to you.

I have cats and dogs that live together and are on good terms, but I would never dream of introducing them to the chinchillas.

Thank you Cass, for answering my question and I agree comparing them to cats is not the same thing.

Latest posts

Back