kit bathing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyshadow

hello, How often will a 14 week old kit need a dust bath? and also once the kit has settled into its new home ( ? a week or so ? ) can we hold her briefly daily? What's best?

I'm not sure on the dust bath part.

I would give the new kit much longer then a week to settle in. All chinchillas are different some take months to get use to a new home. Start off by doing a quarantine for about 30 days. Talk through the cage and give her plenty of time to get use to your voice, and routine. It's a gradual process. Oh and chins shouldn't get play time outside of the cage until at least six months old.

Twice a week is a good amount. Kits don't need different dust bath times/amounts than adults. As for holding her, I would hold off on that. Try talking to her and then gradually start putting your hands in the cage and letting her jump on them and smell you. After she's ok with jumping on you, you can try lifting her up. If she runs away, I wouldn't try it again for the day.

All chins are different. I currently have a 4 month old kit (who I had since she was 8 weeks old) who still kacks at me sometimes when I pet her. I also have an adopted two year old who will sit in your arms all day (as long as there is playtime and treats involved!). Just be patient! The last thing you want to do is stress her.

The more you handle kits the more socialized they become. I handle mine from the day they are born and daily (or more) until they leave for a new home.

The six month thing is a myth, though if you do turn them lose I recommend a bathroom or a smaller area at first.

Dust when they start to look clumpy, the more you handle them the clumpier they get from the oils on your hands. You can dust them a couple times a week like mentioned above.

Last edited:
Thank you all, that's great.
Spoof... Thanks for the reassurance. This baby has been handled daily from birth by the breeder and her husband and children several times a day and therefore I would prefer to keep up the contact with it once it has got used to its new home, the kits have been allowed to roam around the sofa etc for playtime to socialize. Would hate to stress it out with a new home and then not give it any contact for s few months. Can't wait for our 14 week violet female fuzzball to join us. Thank you x

Thank you all for your information. All of which is really helpful.
The kit is a 14wk old violet female who has been handled several times a day from birth by the breeder and their family, and has been used to crawling on them and the sofa etc.
It will be arriving with us soon and after it's adjustment to a new home i want to keep things as routine as possible for her, therefore think that once she is settled i would prefer to keep up the contact and handling rather than move her away from mother and cage and to a new home and then not touch her for weeks. Will try make the transition between homes as smooth as possible for her.
As for the bathing i will do as your advice and bath every few days or when she looks greasy. Thank you so much, i appreciate the views of experts!!

I got my chin at about 8 weeks and I've had her for a month now - I've been holding, petting, and letting her roam around my bedroom daily and she seems quite happy. We developed a good bond pretty quickly! She doesn't need to be dragged out of her cage anymore and she's very clear about it when she wants attention from me, haha. I would encourage you to keep up the contact. Good luck!

Back