Keeps trying to get out of cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello. I'm a new owner of a chinchilla named Sophia. I got her a few days ago and we're already best friends.

A couple of nights ago, I put her back in her cage after play time and about a hour later I realized that she was climbing on her cage. Shortly after, I went to bed and heard some noises and realized that she had gotten out. I looked on the side of my bed and there she was looking up at me, so I put my hand down and she hopped right on and climbed up my arm. I figured out that she had found a soft spot in the cage and was able to move the wires just enough to get out. I fixed that part of the cage so she can't get out again, but tonight I noticed that she was trying to do the same thing (in another area), but the wires were too strong for her to move.

Any ideas as to why she is trying to escape and what I can do to prevent it? I dont want her getting out and I don't want her getting stuck trying.

Might need bars that are closer together, is she a baby? Anyway, all chins like getting out, even if that means all they do after is find a dark spot to sit. They are very curious. Anyway, if the rest of the cage is strong she should give up soon with trying to push her head through. =s

I'd make sure you leave you room closed at all times in case she breaks out again. glhf, I'm glad you got a sweet little chinny.

What kind of cage do you have? Chinchillas are great escape artists and if given the opportunity they will go for it. Do you have toys/wood things for her to chew on inside her cage?

She is only a few months. The guy that sold her to me said that she was the smallest he had ever had.

It's a basic two level cage and yes, I have plenty of chew toys for her as well as a wheel. I know that is really important since their teeth are always growing.

Thanks for the responses.

YOu may need to caver your cage with hardware cloth for a few months. If she is as small as you say, she will probably get out again if you don't. the spaces need to be no bigger than 1 inch by 1/2 inches.

She sounds like a cutie! Yes, please be careful and make sure that the cage is secure. Have fun with your new chin!

It's just reminded me of a time I was fast asleep in bed and both of my chinchillas had got out. I woke up when Charlie jumped on my head she'd come all the way upstairs into my bed room and jumped up on my bed. Lol I look back now and have to laugh she scared me to death!!!

Latest posts

Back